• JohnnyEnzyme@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 days ago

About a week ago, I posted some pages from a graphic novel I’d been reading (“Falafel with Hot Sauce”), which concerned neighborly strife in an Israeli community. My focus (which I talked about) was the rather wild interpersonal dynamics going on, which ultimately ended on a high, empathetic note.

What I naively wasn’t expecting was for a group of users from a rather notorious instance to find the post and begin ranting about Israeli-Palestinian politics, which is putting it mildly, really. So we wound up deleting some comments, and banning some users for going from 0-to-60, flagrantly breaking our SubLemmy rules. A couple days later I made a bumbling, community announcement addressing the situation.

Frankly, I’m disappointed in myself for not handling that more smoothly, nor better-anticipating the potential shock of being attacked so virulently. Unfortunately, with the way my health stuff affects me, I can have a pretty short fuse when under the gun. Ho hum.

• Blaze@feddit.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 days ago

It’s okay, you still managed in a reasonable way and you learned a few things in the process

• anon6789@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

The Superbowl community has returned to its drama-free state.

The mod I haven’t talked to before pulled my post and the one that caused the initial AI controversy. I messaged them saying if you’re going to institute a rule to let people know by putting it in the sidebar or something, and I suggested they unremove them, as ocassionally use AI either to teach to spot it, or just goofy obvious joke stuff like owls in clothes.

Haven’t heard back all week though, so not very helpful…

I feel likes are down, but I always feel that way. We did spend a couple days in the front page of active communities for .World, so I take it all is still going well.

Been getting some real nice pics and stories recently, and found some new photographers that do good work.

Almost time to start actively planning the Owl of the Year event. I am looking forward to that. It was a ton of fun last year, even though it was a lot of work.

• Blaze@feddit.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 days ago

Sounds good overall, but the lack of communication from the mod is a bit concerning

• anon6789@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 days ago

I feel I could have gone to the one I usually do and got what I wanted, but I took it as an opportunity to reach out to the other one, and I don’t think I’ve ever had any interaction with them, or even seen them post or leave a comment.

I know who I’ll be going to in the future… 😜

• ericjmorey
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

!fountainpens@lemmy.world is fun.

I took my first moderation action and I’m not sure if it was too heavy handed, but I’m erroring on the side of keeping the communities I moderate a place were people feel that they won’t be verbally attacked, harassed, or insulted.

• AchtungDrempels@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 days ago

!bicycle_touring@lemmy.world had a good season, but i reckon it will go into winter hibernation now (or already is).

All in all i am quite disillusioned with lemmy though, and if lemmy.world was on the latest update i would have probably already deleted all my images and offed my account. All the topics i was interested in on reddit are not really being discussed here.