• Beko Pharm
    link
    fedilink
    English
    53 hours ago

The situation is really bad for consumers. Even with a Pi-Hole and a dumb TV and something like a Fire TV stick (they tend to send lots of telemetry too and apps like Toggo will nag you to oblivion to consent to data mining - if an app asks at all that is).

I’m slowly building up a Jellyfin library and yeah I jumped the hoops to find a non-smart TV. Wrote about it at https://beko.famkos.net/2022/11/27/on-non-smart-tvs/ and settled with a https://www.homex.eu/u55nt1000.html that ticked all my boxes:

cheap affordable ☑ 4k (UHD) ☑ dumb non-Smart ☑ HDMI ☑ 55″

No idea about it’s tuner though[1] alas it’s not really any longer available in any market space today and I hope it will not die on us any time soon or the quest to find a new one starts again 🤓

[1] We’ve a decent external receiver that does all the work and HDMI juggling but even that thing is on the WiFi for software updates and in-house streaming but from what I can tell it behaves at least, which is probably just because it’s old by now.

• Captain Aggravated
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 hours ago

I bought a commercial digital signage TV. No Roku/Chromecast/whatever, but the damn thing STILL has Ethernet and Wi-Fi and nagged me about setting it up on the internet. I’m only buying computer monitors from here on out.

• MobileDecay
    link
    fedilink
    English
    58 hours ago

So this is why my TV walked into the bathroom while I was dropping a deuce. 🤔

• @iMastari@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

If just using a Smart TV for a computer monitor, what is the easiest way to keep it from sending your information? Just keeping it away from WiFi? Would it be able to connect via your HDMI?

• @tomkatt@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      24 hours ago

The other person said to never connect to wifi, but I’d say either put it on an isolated wifi (guest network) and lock it down to LAN-only access in your router, if at all possible.

The reason being that these devices are aggressive about getting a wifi signal, and even if they can’t connect to yours, they’ll apparently search for unprotected wifi networks and connect to those to send data and phone home. Locking it down to LAN only prevents this, and isolating to a guest network means no information about other devices on your network.

It’s utterly insane we have to do this stuff. If you’re willing to spend more, there are commercial signage displays you can buy that are essentially dumb TVs, and that is pretty much the only way to get a dumb TV today (and obviously, don’t expect smart features from it).

• @nwtreeoctopus@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      47 hours ago

Never connect to wifi. Don’t agree to the ToS. It can’t connect to your network via hdmi.

We have a PiHole running and the TV makes constant attempts to connect to home-base.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod
    link
    fedilink
    English
    6420 hours ago

One way to get Congress to act on this would be to remind them of how Robert Bork’s video rental history got released. They very quickly realized that they all had the same sleazy movies on their rental list and passed a law making it illegal to share them.

Call your Congressmen and tell them that their smart TV is sending screenshots of whatever they’re watching back to home base, including stuff that’s not streamed, and there might be swift action.

Better yet, hack Samsung and leak it to the press. That’ll definitely light a fire under them.

• @PM_Your_Nudes_Please@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    6020 hours ago

I blocked my two TVs from phoning home via my pihole. They are the two noisiest devices on my network, by leaps and bounds.

On a day of heavy usage, my phone and desktop may get ~2000 blocked requests combined. That’s high, but not unheard of. It just means I did a lot of browsing, with a lot of blocked ad requests. My TVs average somewhere around 7500 blocked requests per day, on days that I haven’t even turned them on. That’s an attempt to phone home every ~12 seconds. And it is much worse on days that I actually use them.

• Rob T Firefly
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        8 hours ago

How many times the cost of a comparably-sized Trojan TV did that run you?

• Chaotic Entropy
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      14 hours ago

To be clear though, that’s largely because it is just repeating the same request over and over as it times out and retries. They’re a lot less noisy when they actually connect successfully, though it is still undesirable for them to do so.

• @MajorasMaskForever@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      516 hours ago

Jesus dude, what brand TV do you have?

My LG issues a few hundred blocked requests throughout the day with heavy usage. I’ve never seen it wake up and phone home (my Nintendo Switch does it every hour for some stupid reason)

• @cordlesslamp@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      English
      619 hours ago

Maybe i’m stupid, but why would a TV even do that? All it’s know is what you’re watching today, right? How is that information useful? If you’re living with other people, the TV couldn’t even know who’s watching, that would make the data useless.

• @gravitas_deficiency@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    2921 hours ago

I’m more than happy to buy a TV that uses post-purchase monetization, because I am never going to connect that fucker to the internet. It’s a display. I shall use it as a display. I do not care that it can replace my streaming box. I fully control my streaming box, and I will use that.

If I catch it doing any sketchy shit like trying to use unsecured/Comcast/etc WiFi to phone home, it’ll be time to pull out the screwdriver, though.

• @Someonelol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1420 hours ago

What happens when it no longer needs your WiFi and uses something like LoRa to phone home with your data and location? It may not know who you are exactly but it’ll have a good guess.

• @dtrain@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        920 hours ago

What happens when it no longer needs your WiFi and uses something like LoRa to phone home with your data and location? It may not know who you are exactly but it’ll have a good guess.

I mean…what happens when it becomes sentient, sprouts legs and you catch it sleeping with your spouse?

Let’s deal with the here and now.

• @Someonelol@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          820 hours ago

You know LoRa hardware is getting cheaper and the reliability of these TVs are just terrible. This is likely to happen sooner rather than later. For now just don’t plug it in to WiFi unless you’re willing to go further and desolder its module? I don’t think we can do much via legislation other than write to our congressional reps.

• AWildMimicAppears
          link
          fedilink
          English
          1017 hours ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LoRa (Long Range)

It’s a low power, large range connection technology, working a bit like a mesh network. It can achieve data rates between 0.3 kbit/s and 27 kbit/s and enables geolocation services. According to the LoRa Development Portal, the range provided by LoRa can be up to 3 miles (4.8 km) in urban areas, and up to 10 miles (16 km) or more in rural areas (line of sight).

As soon as your LoRa-Device is in range of another LoRa-Device, it will probably be able to phone home.

• bean
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3123 hours ago

Why do we continue to be ok with this? Where is the outrage and call for change?

• @A_Random_Idiot@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      3322 hours ago

the overwhelming bulk of humanity cant be fucked to care about shit like this… until it personally affects them.

Then they will wail like banshees about the great injustice of it all, and how could anyone let it happen to them.

• @nexusband@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      415 hours ago

Because it works and provides a use case. Most “simpletons” do not want to invest any more time in than putting some Account Data and start watching netflix or whatever. “We” (e.g. the people that care about data privacy and stuff) never have been okay with that shit…

• @Telodzrum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      411 hours ago

Ahh yes, unlike all those non-capitalist modern nations with their complete lack of widespread insidious surveillance.

• @LunchMoneyThief@links.hackliberty.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      421 hours ago

The non-capitalist solutions have been here all along, mostly things licensed under copyleft. But people just need to have the wherewithal to actually use these solutions.

• @bob_lemon@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      161 day ago

Cars being online has some tangible benefits in that they can transmit location data to emergency services, especially if the driver is unresponsive. Might save someone from dying in a ditch in the middle of nowhere.

Arguably, some of the data collected while driving is also very useful for maintenance and development (e.g. if a lot of vehicles start having a similar issue after X miles).

That said, this data should be limited in scope and use (e.g. must not be sold, especially not to insurance companies), as well as anonymized as much as possible. Which is currently not the case, and that definitely needs regulation.

• Semi-Hemi-Lemmygod
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        19 hours ago

You don’t need a high bandwidth connection to do emergency notifications, and considering it might be in a remote area satellite would be better than LTE.

For the diagnostics you could log events internally and then collect them with OBD-II readers, though I’d like to force car makers to use open data formats so people can see for themselves what’s collected.

• @Bytemeister@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1022 hours ago

That said, this data should be limited in scope and use…

Yep, anonymized, limited, non-distributable, and secured, with severe penalties (on the order of tens of thousands of dollars per person, paid to the harmed party) for failure to adhere.

• @doingthestuff@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        171 day ago

Civilians used to own canons. For blowing up ships. And the occasional home invader. Doesn’t matter if it has sailed if we sink it. We should sink that ship.

• Refurbished Refurbisher
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      1 day ago

First you’d need to ban money from politics and change the voting system to better represent the people living there instead of wealthy elites, but that would just be the start.

Whenever wealthy elites have even a tiny bit of power (as they do in any capitalist system, including social democracies like what the Nordic countries have), they will seize as much control as possible. We saw this happen many times.

• @Appoxo@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 day ago

Nico Semsrott (Kabarettist and member of the EU parliament. Yes, both) proposed in jest sponsoring placement on the jackets of the political members that got donations by companies.
        The jackets should then look like the race overalls from Formula 1 or (not US) football players.

And I am fully supporting this.

Edit:
        Like this:

• Frosty
      link
      fedilink
      English
      318 hours ago

But their constituents corporate donors would not profit as much. Won’t someone think about my profits? 🙃

• @theedqueen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1122 hours ago

My current tv is a 42” I got in 2012. I would love to upgrade to a bigger one, but I don’t wanna get a lame smart tv.

• @dan@upvote.au
      link
      fedilink
      English
      29 hours ago

You can get a smart TV and just not use any of the smart features. My TVs are on a separate VLAN with no internet access, so I can still control them via Home Assistant but they can’t reach out to the outside world. I use Nvidia Shields for streaming.

• @CosmicSurgeon@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      518 hours ago

I’m on the same boat 44" tv, from ages ago. Connected to my linux reinstalled asus chromebox. Freedom baby yeah!