• BodyBySisyphus [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I used to be like these types, and then I realized a lot of leftists, or more specifically Marxists base their entire political ideology off of theory that’s like 200 years old. Marx was writing at the peak of the Industrial Revolution probably when capitalism was in its most grotesque form (child labour, no regulations etc.) there’s no way in hell Marx could have ever imagined the complex world we live in today.

And also evolution is false because On the Origin of Species was written 200 years ago and there’s no way Darwin could’ve accounted for all the complexities the molecular biology revolution revealed in trait heritability.

• axont [she/her, comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Also why do liberals like to pretend their own theory doesn’t predate Marx by decades or centuries. Marx was literally building on top of existing liberal theory

They have guys like Hobbes, who died in 1679. They’ll regularly quote Plato or Aristotle too. Ask them what western society is based on and they’ll start saying nerd shit about the Manga Carta or ancient Rome. Liberals are so unserious

• ShimmeringKoi [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

God can you imagine if we lived in a hellishly cruel and exploitative world of industrial genocides, child labor and deregulation, like in the dirty stinky past? Then those communists might have a point, haha

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

base their entire political ideology off of theory that’s like 200 years old

Meanwhile they base their ideology off of the prolonged vampire euphoria that ensued after the collapse of the Soviet Union and never let that go like some boomer nostalgic for that one winning touchdown that one time during the homecoming varsity game.

capitalism was in its most grotesque form (child labour, no regulations etc.)

The more advanced bazinga form of that outsources the grotesque to the poors in distant lands smuglord

• huf [he/him]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

they’re re-legalizing child labor in some US states, and finding illegal child labor in others. capitalism is oopsie daisy still in its most grotesque form.

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 days ago

Sure, “what if life-draining creatures that bring ruination to the living were sparkly and nice to people they wanted to fuck” was certainly a moment.

• It’s wild how the people who approach capitalism like it’s a religion are able to sort of just state between the lines that there isn’t child labor or how there supposedly are functioning regulations in global capitalism today. Completely ignoring the exploitation their neoliberal world order requires to maintain itself.

It’s not that complex, they are calling it complex the same way they call the Middle East complex. Understanding it would require engaging with something that takes some work. And if we ask a lib if a lib will “lib or not to lib”, the lib will always lib. Because it takes zero effort to keep on libbing.

• plinky [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Damn thats crazy how i don’t buy stuff produced under the command of capitalists anymore, its a very different system cause they got flatscreens. Interestingly they only produce stuff that brings them profit, another mystery why they do that curious-marx just different i guess.

• vegeta1 [none/use name]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

If someone were to say this about their beloved constitution… And why are they acting like we aren’t facing climate crisis and potential overshoot?

• drinkinglakewater [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Abruptly stand up and challenge the speaker to a debate. Your opening statement should be a 15-minute monologue that invokes your IQ, your depth of knowledge of Milton Friedman’s literature, and your immunity to simple emotional appeals. Leave the ball in their court. But they’ll simply be too stunned to respond with anything but silence and awe. They’ll concede, and you will likely get a standing ovation and a few phone numbers.

michael-laugh

• happybadger [he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

https://archive.is/wip/dN7Lk Fresh archive of what needs to be a site tagline:

I just attended a Marxist lecture for extra credit and had to sit there while the guest condoned not voting, claimed Obama didn’t end the war, and called the 2009 loans bailouts. Please make me feel better before I puke.

I’m not joking my more immediate coping mechanism was the catering provided so I had a lot of cookies.

• Infamousblt [any]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I just went to a lecture where the lecturer told me a bunch of true things I don’t like and now I’m shaking and crying uncontrollably kitty-cri-screm

• dinklesplein [any, he/him]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

Honestly I’d argue being open to feedback is the primary requirement to succeeding at…well most anything long-term. So it’s not exactly a small difference

i think people of almost every political position like to flatter themselves by saying they’re uniquely receptive to feedback and new information and therefore a superior critical thinker. like, saying it does not make it so.

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

Most “open office” corpo schemes have a “welcome feedback” policy that just determines who gets fired and who gets promoted based upon invisible court intrigue shit. corporate-art

• Real_User [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

This is a thread about needing a coping mechanism because someone told them two factual statements about the Obama administration that they didn’t like. We definitely get ahead of ourselves about this stuff too but NL is just page after page of jagoff

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 days ago

They watch lots of treats that tell them that they are cool, calm, and collected pragmatic Adults In The Room that Make The Hard Decisions and Get Shit Done libbing-out

They never have to experience humility because of their bubble of treatbrained privilege. Consequently, they go through life like edgy know-it-all teenagers, forever.

• ShimmeringKoi [comrade/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 days ago

I’m glad I did kickboxing as a teen, the experience of having to keep a neutral face after getting beaten up in front of a crowd that includes your parents will humble a person.