I know the headline sounds funny, but remember that could kill a diabetic.

• diffusive@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    7 hours ago

This was orange juice not coca cola zero (the headline is misleading)

If i have to guess the gymnic was that they add zero additional sugar (but oranges still have sugar).

While I hate these misleading names and i am in favour of this kind of actions; i suspect diabetic people are familiar with this BS and would have read the nutrition facts

• Flying Squid@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      7 hours ago

Lemonade, not orange juice. And no, it was a zero sugar lemonade, artificially sweetened, and they put sugar in it accidentally.

But I agree, the headline should have been worded better.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

The recall was initiated on September 10…

Yay! An urgent thing that happened over a month ago! I sure am glad that people get timely notifications of these events.

• myusernameis@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Fun story, the recent meat recall (the second one) affected some salads I bought early September… we got an email long after we’d eaten them letting us know, and to call “this number” if you’d like a refund.

Sorry, I lied, it wasn’t a fun story.

• JoshuaFalken@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      21 hours ago

I’m not quite sure how this would done in a timely-er fashion. Signage in the stores? In theory, anyone paying with plastic could have been contacted through the card company.

That would involve the manufacturer alerting the store, the store alerting all the various card companies, then the card companies alerting the customer. That’s a lot of infrastructure to keep running and to do so fast enough that the customer finds out within a day or two of the recall.

Expensive. Worthwhile given the potential to save lives or hospital stays, but you know how companies are.

This would also involve admitting all your purchase history is collected and stored in a way that is not anonymized, which I don’t think people would quite like to be explicitly told about.

• mbtrhcs@feddit.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        14 hours ago

In Germany, supermarkets typically post product recalls right on the doors or over the shelves of the section that has the affected products. I guess if you bought something you might be less likely to go down that aisle again next time and come across the sign, but (barring a big empty space at the entrance) I think that’s the most reasonable place for them to be

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 hours ago

Do you ever find there are a lot of these signs at any given time? Having them in a designated area by the entryway then maybe again by the shelf where they stock it seems like a good combination.

In my head I worry it might become overwhelming to the point no one reads them anymore. Though I suppose that could be mitigated with a large image of the recalled product, to make it easier to check at a glance without having to stop and read for a minute. I can’t remember ever seeing signage at the shops near me. I wish we had that.

Maybe I’m overthinking it and it’s a rarity to ever have more than a couple products be recalled at a single time. Can’t say I’ve put much thought into any of this before.

• linuno@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            Deutsch
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 hours ago

in my experience, it is rare to see two recalls at the same time in the same store. and yes, there usually is a rather large picture of the product. standard size paper (din a4) where the top half is a picture and the bottom half a description of the recall with info as to why and which batch numbers are affected.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 hours ago

Ah okay, I like that implementation. Good to have it be eye-catching and not just a bunch of text. Thanks for letting me know.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 hours ago

I never even mentioned alerting individual customers. The publication date on the story is TODAY. We can certainly do better than that.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          17 hours ago

I understood that from your comment. I wasn’t contradicting you or challenging what you said, just wondering aloud how we might go about it and pointing out some flaws in my own point.

That said, even if this article was published the day of the recall, I imagine only a minority of the affected purchasers would ever see it. I couldn’t say I’ve ever looked at a recipes website to inform me of important consumer news.

• magnetosphere@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 hours ago

This might possibly be the most civil, respectful misunderstanding I’ve ever seen. I appreciate it.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 hours ago

Par for the course with online discussions, I’d say. Always difficult to discern the tone of a comment when it’s written down. No harm done.

Cheers!

• The Pantser@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Coca-Cola has voluntarily recalled 13,152 cases of Minute Maid Zero Sugar Lemonade because it discovered during an internal investigation that cans labeled as Zero Sugar contain full sugar.

Not Coke, it’s the lemonade.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 hours ago

Minute Maid is owned by Coke. That’s why the headline says Coke is pulling the drinks.

• Nate@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        23 hours ago

Headline could be written better, I warned my friend who’s sister is a diabetic before realizing its just the lemonade

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          22 hours ago

Now you know better than to stop reading after two seconds. If you spent three more seconds reading the summary your panicked warning would have been avoided.

• Nate@programming.dev
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            22 hours ago

If I had stopped reading after 2 seconds I wouldn’t know it was the lemonade, something that should be put front and center because if I was a drinker of minute maid zero sugar lemonade and I saw “Coke recalls popular zero sugar drink”, I wouldn’t’ve bothered reading further.

• Omega@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              22 hours ago

Anyone downvoting is just shilling for shitty news practices.

This headline was intentionally misleading. At BEST it’s meant to be vague to make you click into the article to find out what the drink is. Either way it’s shitty.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              19 hours ago

Did you only read the headline and immediately tell someone not to drink cola…
              or did you read the headline and summary and still tell someone not to drink cola?

Make up your mind.

• MudMan@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I am very tempted to complain about the state of modern journalism, but maybe we don’t have to expect better from “simpyrecipes.com”.

Still, holy clickbait, Batman.

• Zerlyna@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 day ago

You aren’t far off. I’ve been in the Anheuser Busch plant in Cartersville GA about 20 years ago and I swear one line bottled 600 a minute…. Remember thinking how it took two of our plants to keep one of theirs going. You couldn’t see the bottles they moved so fast.

• ladfrombrad 🇬🇧@lemdro.id
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          21 hours ago

Thing is though there’s around 12-24 bottles per case depending on the size of the bottles.

Our fastest filler here at work does 36,000 bottles an hour, so you definitely won’t be getting 13,000 cases in 30 seconds I can assure ya ;)

• 11111one11111@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      16 hours ago

Hahahahah Fuck it I’m leaving my long ass conspiracy theory centered around this breakthrough being about Coke Zero specifically and no other drinks comment I responded to someone else with.

• RickRussell_CA@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Check the label before you drink it, especially if you’re watching your sugar intake for medical reasons.

Umm. How would checking the label help? If the drinks were labelled correctly, there would be no reason for a recall.

• BougieBirdie@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 hours ago

In this case, they’re probably referring to the lot number. The affected numbers are FEB1725CNA and FEB1725CNB for Minute Maid Zero Sugar Lemonade.

If I was told to just check the label, I’d probably also assume they meant the nutrition information. In that case you’d be correct that it wouldn’t help you identify the affected drinks because they would be marked as having 0g sugar.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I agree. The best thing to do is avoid it entirely for now. I’m guessing there are other sugar-free lemonade options. Is Crystal Light still around? I used to like that one.

• 11111one11111@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        16 hours ago

I’m super fuckin curious now. As a type 1 diabetes since 12y/o, before the 2010’s the only readily available 0 sugar drink options were water and diet pop. So for idk 20 years I was raised on DP giggety

Fast forward to the first time I got coke zero from a restaurant when it first came out. I was 100% positive they were putting sugar in it and have not wavered from that unfounded conspiracy theory.

Even more so after every brand of pop, juice, energy drink after that 2010ish decade had its own zero sugar options on the market. Nothing comes even close to the flavor in coke zero. In the absolute slimmest chance this has been a day 1 fuckup they are just catching I still feel like it could be a very small amount cuz that all it takes to give body to a zero sugar drink.

My source for this belief can be found in drinks like Gatorade G2 vs GZero, or new Prime energy drinks I see everywhere now, or another good one is the oj brands who offer half the sugar options of OJ.

You drink a zero sugar drink back to back with any of these example and you will totally get what I’m saying about the empty taste of zero sugar vs the fuller less chemically tasting “low” not “zero” options lisred above.

Then look at the total carbs of the light sugar options to the full flavor all the sugar options and the one with the highest amount of sugar should be the OJ and even that is only 50% of the full flavored OJ.

Normal energy drink: 35-50g of carms compared to 6g of carbs in prime. Gatorade: 36g vs G2 is i wanna say 12ga or go further with Gatorade Fit that has a splash of juice and that is a mere 4g of carbs.

So back to coke zero. It could only take a couple grams per can to get that real coke taste in coke zero. Yes it could cause most diabetics to raise an eyebrow as to why they’re sugar readings after a coke zero are slightly higher but the reality of it is you would haven’t be on the strictest regiment diet of the same exact amount of portions, recipes and execute your insulin delivery efficiency to perfection rotating sites so the same % of injected insulin is retained for every meal and even then the difference from adding a can of coke zero with 4-8g of carb is barely going to move the needle.

For most diabetic insulin regiments they start you off on a scale of 1unit of insulin per every 12-15g of carbs consumed depending on the person’s size, age etc. Way back when they first trained me I was instructed to round to the nearest 5 and take the closest dose of insulin to match. So a single can isn’t ever going to ruin someone’s night cuz it isnt even enought carbs to round up to take 1 unit on insulin for.

Still doesn’t make me any less interested if my bat shit crazy conspiracy theory is actually true. Lol

• Schadrach@lemmy.sdf.org
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 hours ago

This wasn’t about coke zero but about two batch numbers of the zero sugar version of minute maid lemon aid, in cans.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

Did you ever try Pepsi One when it was around? I’m not a huge fan of colas (or sugary drinks in general), but it wasn’t bad compared to most diet sodas I’ve had.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 hours ago

I thought the main danger to diabetics was not having sugar after taking insulin.

• theherk@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I’m not 100%, but I’m pretty sure the issue is with restricted ability to use / produce insulin to regulate blood sugar thus leading to dangerously high levels.

• Femcowboy@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

That’s only a danger if they take too much insulin. Insulin is used by the body to make the cells absorb sugar.

• Snot Flickerman@lemmy.blahaj.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

My favorite zero calorie drink is water.

I feel bad for people’s whose stomachs get upset when drinking water, they have to turn to solutions like sugar-free drinks whether they like it or not.

As @FlyingSquid@lemmy.world astutely points out, it’s a big deal for a lot of people with dietary issues, diabetics being the most prominent.

• tempest@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I have a hard time believing someone can be sick from water but artificial sweetener in water doesn’t cause that. Has to be psychosomatic.

• J'Pol @lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        24 hours ago

No, water is really bad if you have unmedicated GERD. I am fairly certain that if I miss a day of meds, the swift intense heartburn is not psychosomatic. I don’t know why, but anything with carbonation is much less intense.

• salarua@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 day ago

it is psychosomatic, but can still be debilitating. i knew a Navy veteran who could not drink straight water at all because while in the Navy, he had to drink several gallons of the stuff every day. as soon as he was discharged (honorably), he found he couldn’t have water without anything added to it simply because he had so much of it in the service. of course, he still has to drink water, so he carries around a bottle of flavoring

• Duranie@literature.cafe
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        21 hours ago

Straight water doesn’t make me sick, but unless I’m already pretty thirsty (working hard/exercising outside in summer) and it’s full of ice, I find drinking water unpleasant.

I’ll drink water when I have to, but I’ll drink flavored/calorie free drinks because I enjoy them, thus staying far more hydrated.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      19 hours ago

HFCS is sugar. Just not cane sugar. And at the end of the day, sugar is sugar and we shouldn’t be having it all the time.

• banshee@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 hours ago

Yes but I like making cheap jabs at the drink industry.

On a serious note - you’re absolutely right to avoid sugar, and I stopped drinking sweetened beverages many years ago. From what I understand though, people would develop fewer health problems if they consumed cane sugar instead of HFCS. Apparently the unbound fructose makes a difference when consuming sugar at such a high volume.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 day ago

I think they changed the formula of their drinks. I haven’t had any in a while, but it was pretty awful when I tried a couple of them a few years ago.

• EABOD25@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

Sounds like a class action suit for any person that consumed the drinks while it was advertised as zero sugar

• catloaf@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 hours ago

Only if they suffered harm. I’m not sure that enough people will have suffered harm for it to be a class action.

• TachyonTele@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

You’d have to prove you drank it before September 10, and it was from those specific batches.