• Mojave@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

I spent years running, and it was dirty ass every single time.

I’m convinced runners high is a myth, people lie about loving running, and cardio was a psyop cooked up by the devil. Sprinting is pain, long runs are pain, indoor, outdoor, in groups and alone. It’s all pain.

It’s cool to like how my body looks though

• partial_accumen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

This is great when it applies, but there are lots of things in life that aren’t fun and no amount of effort will make you “learn to love the process”.

For most things like this its “hate the consequences of NOT doing the thing more than doing the thing.” The shortcoming of this is that you may not get all the way to the end goal because the consequences are fewer for getting part way or most of the way there.

• Fighter_Moo
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 days ago

To add on, Motivation is great for beginning stuff, and can carry you through the easier parts of the process. But when things get harder and your Motivation runs low, it’s Discipline that’ll push you through the harder parts of the process.

• The Picard Maneuver@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 days ago

Exactly. Motivation burns out. It’s why most attempts at dieting and exercising don’t make it a month.

For best results, it takes discipline, smaller and more specific goals (e.g. “run this far per week” rather than “be skinnier”), and learning to love the process so that it doesn’t feel like as much work.