• Hossenfeffer@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 hours ago

Thanos’ plan was unmitigated garbage anyway.

Humanity reached 4B in 1975 and hit 8B in 2022. On that basis, if half of humanity died when Thanos snapped his fingers 50 years later we’d be back to 8B people again.

——— Edited to billions not millions because I wrote it while under the influence of stupidity.

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

That is NOT how species replicate. There are many factors where that number comes from. Including food and space to keep them. I read in college the max for humans is something like 10 million. But most scientists think it’s a already slowing down due to the struggles everyone deals with.

• MystikIncarnate@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 minutes ago

You mean 10 billion?

Large cities can have more than 10 million people, so I assume you mean the other thing.

Bluntly, half of the occupants of residences would be gone, and their stuff would be up for grabs. It would take a few years to stabilize afterwards, but it would mostly be business as usual for those who survived the snap (apart from the obvious mental trauma).

Enough homes exist for the number of people who live here now, whether those homes are condos, apartments, detached homes, townhouses, or otherwise. A lot of people would be able to move somewhere more permanent, because the housing market would crash pretty hard.

As we refill the homes the population would naturally return to the same level of growth we have seen previously… So after a few years, maybe a decade, max, humanity would be back on the population train straight to 8B again for sometime between 2050 and 2075.

Humans don’t really follow the same population rules as apply to animals, bacteria, or other organisms in general.

• GladiusB@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 hours ago

That is not the only factor. But yes it would increase food capacity. But species are very aware of their drain on an eco system. We are starting to become more aware. But we know killing off one bug will effect harvests that effect everything including our food’s food.

• Disgracefulone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      9 hours ago

Are… you high? You know that back when I last checked in 2020ish there were 8 billion people, right? Maybe that’s what you meant

Edit surely you had to have meant that. The US alone has almost half a billion people. Most countries have well over that number so I’m attributing it to mistype

• f314@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

They might not be a native English speaker. In my language (Norwegian), the word for “billion” is “milliard”. I think that’s also the case in German.

• RunawayFixer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

That’s obviously what they meant. There was probably some translation error. Just cut people some slack, everyone makes small mistakes from time to time. There’s a few (atleast 2) languages where the native word for billion starts with an m and the word for trillion starts with a b.