• cm0002@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 hours ago

ESH IMO, the “Not gonna let them pass me crowd” is almost as dangerous as the wreckless driver crowd. Just let them pass, if you feel they are breaking the law then report them accordingly.

Stop taking the law into your own hands, it’s dangerous.

• trainsaresexy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 hours ago

Lots of drivers pass too close and too fast, and the majority of the time they want to zoom past me only to roll stop through the next stop sign or wait for me to arrive at the crosswalk and press the light. They’ll also stop if a car is parking, or another car coming in the opposite. Nah, they can wait for me on my bike or they can use another any of the 100 roads specifically designated for them.

Though, not all the time. If I’m taking the lane it’s for a reason. It doesn’t help when drivers then use that moment to ride up right behind me. Car drivers treat bikers like shit and expect to be treated like royalty.

• rockSlayer@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      13 hours ago

It’s a one lane one way street, there’s nothing to let them pass though. They were just driving responsibly from the sounds of it.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 hours ago

on a single file one-way side street with 2 designated bike lanes. He was furious that I wouldn’t let him speed past him

The description is weird, but it sounds to me like there’s 1 lane for cars and 2 (narrow) bike lanes on either side and the biker was in the middle to prevent him from passing

They were just driving responsibly from the sounds of it.

That may be so, but pulling to the side to let an aggressive driver pass you is the smarter choice. Especially on a bike. Bike vs Car faceoffs usually don’t end well for the biker.

• Hawke@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          12 hours ago

You may have missed the part where the driver of the BMW “hopped the curb” “at 70”. I have some doubts about the speed, but if you’re going over a curb at speed to try to pass someone, you’re in the wrong.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 hours ago

I think that description is a little suspect. If you hop a curb at 70, your car is getting jacked up.

• Anivia@feddit.org
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              10 hours ago

It’s 70kph, not mph. As a delivery driver I take curbs at 70kph every day, modern suspensions can take that without issues

• cm0002@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            11 hours ago

Never said he wasn’t, but the biker was also putting his and his kids life at risk just to make a statement. The same type of aggressive driver who will “hop the curb at 70” are also the same who are unpredictable and could lose it and run you over.

Is taking the law into your own hands just to make a statement really worth your or your children’s lives? When you could have just avoided the entire situation by pulling to the side and letting the aggressive driver pass while you noted down the license plate?

• Hawke@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              11 hours ago

Sorry, that wasn’t my point. If the driver had to hop a curb to threaten the cyclist, how would the cyclist have been able to simply “pulled to the side” to let him past when there’s a curb between them.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                11 hours ago

Ah gotcha, yea the OOP post isn’t particularly clear, but from my understanding there was a time before the driver got fully enraged where the biker could have pulled off onto the curb themselves

• Hawke@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 hours ago

It does seem like there’s something “off” about that description. Itd be interesting to know where this all happened.

I can imagine a driver raging at a cyclist and then later chasing them and hopping a curb to threaten. Or hopping the curb onto a sidewalk to pass them and swerving back onto the road in a threatening manner. Both strike me as very much dangerous and disproportionate reactions to having to go a bit slow for 30 seconds.

• candybrie@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                ·
                edit-2
                11 hours ago

The swerving at them was when coming back off the curb into the road, I think. If there was a curb between them, there’s no way the cyclist was preventing him from passing.

Edit: crappy drawing

• DrunkEngineer@lemmy.worldOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 hours ago

Most likely one contraflow bike lane, plus one car lane with sharrow, like this.

Also, bike needs to be in the center of the lane to avoid the door-zone.

• mindaika@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 hours ago

No, the group of people who don’t kill any people with their vehicles is not “just as dangerous” as the group who kills 25,000+ people/year

• hardcoreufo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 hours ago

I like biking but don’t do much of it anymore because of crazy drivers.

I’m sure plenty of pedestrians have been killed by cyclists. I’ve almost been run over multiple times by spandex warriors running red lights. I’m not convinced if you looked at percentages and not raw numbers you wouldn’t find just as many irresponsible cyclists as you do drivers. I see multiple drivers doing something stupid every day and I see a cyclist every week or two doing something stupid. Difference is I see 200 cars a day and 4 cyclists.

The best thing for your safety on a bike is to let the aggressive driver go, not to police them. Antagonizing an irate driver is a recipe for disaster no matter if you are in a car, on a bike or a pedestrian.

• randy@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          7 hours ago

I’m sure plenty of pedestrians have been killed by cyclists.

I did some quick searching and found 2019 data from Europe. In all of the EU that year, bicycles killed 19 pedestrians while cars killed 3200 pedestrians. Over 168 pedestrians killed by a car for each killed by a bicycle. I know there are plenty of irresponsible cyclists, and yet they are still a tiny fraction as dangerous as a driver.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 hours ago

The “Not gonna let them pass me crowd” includes both drivers and bikers.

• SomeoneSomewhere@lemmy.nz
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 hours ago

Taking the lane shouldn’t be necessary if there are actual bike lanes and you don’t need to turn. This sounds like deliberately blocking traffic.

• nBodyProblem@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 hours ago

Really depends on conditions. Many “bike lanes” have unsafe road hazards, glass, are immediately in the door zone of parked cars, etc. Getting doored is one of the most common causes of cyclists being sent to the hospital with major injuries.

A well laid out, well maintained bike lane is a better alternative to taking the lane. However, in the cases where the bike lane is hazardous it’s always better to take the lane than to risk getting injured in an unsafe bike lane.

• Rentlar@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          9 hours ago

You may be correct, but if I’m not fully convinced there are proper bike lanes both ways in OOP’s post.

If the cyclist provision is a “sharrow” then the bike should be in the centre of the lane. If the cyclist is turning left without proper turning infrastructure they can be in the centre of the lane. If it’s a divided lane then they should be on the side.

• Blackout@fedia.io
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      12 hours ago

Hey it’s an entitled little man in the flesh. As a lifelong biker fuck you. My taxes pay for the roads too. Cars are traffic so it makes no sense for them to get impatient and risk the lives of others. The car is the one not obeying the laws.

• cm0002@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        12 hours ago

The car is the one not obeying the laws.

Yes and I said:

if you feel they are breaking the law then report them accordingly.

You’re putting your own life in danger when you do crap like that, all it’ll take is one aggressive driver having a particularly bad day to run you over. Sure, they’ll probably get arrested and face consequences for that, but it won’t really matter all that much to you when you’re dead.

It’s like debating with the “fuck seatbelts” people stg.

• Soup@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        12 hours ago

As a car-owner and someone who’s glad to now live in an area with phblic transportation I can confidently say that people are just astoundingly stupid, short-sighted, and impatient. Also blind, apparently, because they will ride my ass, cut someone off beside me to rip by, only to jump in front of me and slam the brakes because I’m not going slower than the people in front of me just because I’m leaving space. They’re in an SUV and my BRZ is barely over 4’ tall so they should be able to see just fine. If I’m really lucky I get to watch them pull into slower traffic beside me just because there’s some space for half a second and then have to wait for me to pass them after they got stuck behind the large truck that was always there but they somehow missed. And since it’ll need being said my top speed on the highway is plenty fast so if I’m not doing it it’s because there’s traffic and we all can’t go any faster.

People fucking suck and are stupid as hell, and rich or pseudo-rich Torontonians try really hard to be the best at being the worst, especially when they get the pleasure of endangering a person on a bicycle. I’m not the least bit surprised by any of this.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          12 hours ago

It’s been a good three years since I had to gaze upon any traffic situations on Turtle Island. I don’t miss it

• yonder@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 hours ago

I think Canada should be ashamed of the 401. Widest Highway in North America, and the competition is fierce. Good on you for distancing yourself from this.