• OpenStars
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 hours ago

I know this is fuckcars, but that’s not even a car thing - it’s a human thing, and all the worse for it:-(.

The thing is, if you both were on a bike, the interaction would have so much less potential to have become accidentally deadly:-).

• OpenStars
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

Yup. Ironically I think it’s that feeling of pseudoanonymity that does it, which seems backed up by how people often behave online. It allows someone’s true colors to come out, whatever they may be.

• OpenStars
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 hours ago

Wait wait wait wait wait - what is this, toxicity on… Lemmy?! That’s unpossible!

img

• dylanmorgan@slrpnk.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

I think cars and car culture are inextricably linked to this kind of behavior, and it gets worse with bigger cars. People definitely can ride bikes like assholes but it’s less common-something about having zero barriers between a person and the world makes them less susceptible to acting like the world isn’t there.

• OpenStars
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 hours ago

Driving around in a climate controlled cockpit with surround stereo, splashing rain and mud on all those who they pass by, while laughing at “the poors” who cannot afford to drive or perhaps soon helicopter around everywhere. It definitely has an effect - bc Power Corrupts.

But it’s not solely their fault - the fault is also (or even… primarily?) ours for voting in such a way that so much space is dedicated to these rich assholes, while leaving no room for ourselves.

Though also, I bet this asshole would have been just as douchy if both sides of the conflict here had been walking. So the car made the situation so much worse, rather than creating it.