I’m all for putting solar panels all over the place, but won’t these get dusty and oily and need loads of cleaning after trains pass over?

Also, costing €623,000 over three years sounds rather expensive for just 100m (although that roughly equates to 11KW).

• Valmond@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 hour ago

Putting solar panels between rails is as stupid as solar roadways. There is nothing to be gained and just lots of hurdles to overcome to make it (almost) as good as a normal solar panel on a roof or on a stick or on a wall.

Tell me, why on earth would you put solar panels between rails?

Edit: lot of anger here, but no answers why the panels should go between the rails, shaken daily by heavy trains. You invested in it or what?

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 hours ago

Tell me, why on earth would you put solar panels between rails?

were just trying to find some efficiency in the space wasted by rail not-in-use. thats a lot of land. im not saying its possible, but i dont think thought experiments about these kinds of things is a bad idea

• Valmond@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 hours ago

That’s like 0.00000001% of land.

There is so much unused land, why bother trains and their schedules with a maintenance nightmare between their rails?

It is just a stupid idea with no upside except the oily greasy dirty solar panels up-side that can’t get cleaned because, … wait for it …, there are Trains running over it!

I can’t fathom how such a stupid idea got more that 1 meter away from the bar counter.

• SubArcticTundra@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 hours ago

I agree, there’s so much land elsewhere. Even just beside the tracks would be better than between the tracks

• Valmond@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 hour ago

That could actualy have real world benefits, like when there are few trains, a special small train could go by and let maintenance people off/on there for example.

• originalucifer@moist.catsweat.com
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            4 hours ago

ha, ok. youll be ok. its alright. everything will be just fine.

why dont you have some nice warm milk and this cookie. youll feel right as rain. .

• Valmond@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 hours ago

Everything will be fine, except this extraordinarily stupid idea.

Did you invest in it or something? I mean you have no answers just other than “here take a cookie” lol

• Valmond@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  3 hours ago

It did cost 600.000 euros and you call it efficient, for an idea that can be scrapped by thinking straight for 2 minutes lol.

You think the idea sounds cool, but it’s just a nightmare. If you are really interested in efficiency you should look up engineering and related studies. Or just work with mechanical things. Or both.

What did you think about solar roadways?