• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 hours ago

Don’t buy into the lie. Most happiness grows when shared. It’s important to have enough, but no material goods bring nearly as much happiness as the joys of other people

• Redacted@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 hour ago

The key word is “enough”. Most people in the world spend the majority of their lives working to make money for someone else in order to put food on the table.

More money means more time available to spend with their loved ones, from which happiness is derived as you say.

• leisesprecher@feddit.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Not really, and especially on a macroeconomic level it’s the opposite of the truth.

The happiness described here is not monetary. It’s stuff like gay people existing. Your economic status and your queerness shouldn’t correlate. So queer people being happy with their lives doesn’t take away anything from anyone else.

And on a macroeconomic level, more equal societies produce more growth and thus more wealth for everyone.

• Redacted@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

My bad, didn’t appreciate it was referring to happiness in terms of social freedoms.

I meant for someone to have a good life without monetary worries on one side of the world it almost necessitates worse conditions elsewhere.

• ayyy@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      4 hours ago

Explain to me how two women kissing causes an unrelated person’s purchasing power to be reduced.

• Redacted@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Because they’ll spend their free time enjoying each other’s company instead of buying things they don’t need?!

Apologies, no context was provided so it seems I wrongly assumed it was related to quality of life in general, not social freedoms.

• BallsandBayonets@lemmings.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 hours ago

That’s a social issue and lies on a separate axis from economic issues. Unfortunately in the US the capitalists refuse to give the voters an economic left option, so we have to settle for a capitalist party that panders to bigots, and a capitalist party that pretends to not be bigoted.