• Tejan Ausland@hubzilla.monster
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 hours ago

It’s like how people in an information bubble post something and get encouraged by all of the people who think that same way, but the majority of people are actually against the idea.

• OpenStars
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

Hexbear has downvoting disabled. Which is in part why they brigade people to express disapproval rather than merely use that.

• Binette@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      6 hours ago

It’s not really that they don’t allow negative feedback. They just prefer that if you do have negative feedback, you comment it instead of just downvoting and moving on.

• SatyrSack@feddit.orgOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 hours ago

Some background of this incident:

I made a post with a meme about a TV episode in which some evil aliens pretended to be friendly and share a vaccine, but the vaccine turned out to intentionally render the victims infertile so they would not be able to fight back when they began being enslaved. Unfortunately, I did not consider that to an outsider, the meme just looked like your garden variety vaccine misinformation/conspiracy. I was able to edit the title and add some context to the post body, so the post was able to “recover” as more people were able to see what the joke was intended to be. But initially, it was (understandably) down voted immensely. Just a funny misunderstanding.

• givesomefucks@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 hours ago

With Israel in the news lately, a lot more people have recently become aware of them literally doing that to Ethiopian immigrants…

The government had previously denied the practice but the Israeli Health Ministry’s director-general has now ordered gynaecologists to stop administering the drugs. According a report in Haaretz, suspicions were first raised by an investigative journalist, Gal Gabbay, who interviewed more than 30 women from Ethiopia in an attempt to discover why birth rates in the community had fallen dramatically.

One of the Ethiopian women who was interviewed is quoted as saying: “They [medical staff] told us they are inoculations. We took it every three months. We said we didn’t want to.” It is alleged that some of the women were forced or coerced to take the drug while in transit camps in Ethiopia.

The drug in question is thought to be Depo-Provera, which is injected every three months and is considered to be a highly effective, long-lasting contraceptive.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-gave-birth-control-to-ethiopian-jews-without-their-consent-8468800.html

So there’s a couple other things people would think of instead of the show you meant

• OpenStars
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 hours ago

img

Edit: for context though, my own downvoted posts tend to be genuinely unpopular. e.g. this one may arguably have the distinction of being the least popular post of that entire community, if you sort by controversial and see that it is the first one with double-digit total numbers. It doesn’t matter how that whole situation turned out - people just did not enjoy seeing it, like at all, though I indeed found it interesting.

• NigelFrobisher@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      5 hours ago

Reminds me of when Jimmy Saville died and someone got massively downvoted for saying “But wasn’t he a paedophile?”. And then all the news came out about it. People hated him because he spoke the truth lol