I feel like I’ve tried everything available in all the stores, at the shoe stores, I’ve bought the “good” ones off Amazon, the DUBEFWEE style brands too.

They all break or deform within a year, I can’t take it

• ikilledlaurapalmer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

WTF is going on here??? I have literally NEVER known of or heard of anyone using a shoehorn. Even my grandparents. I live in the US. Is this maybe a niche thing in some other country???

• Agrivar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 hours ago

I’m with you. Everyone in this thread arguing for shoehorns comes off like an actual kook. Buy shoes that fit your feet, and loosen the laces if you’re struggling. Anything else is stubborn insanity.

• viking@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 hours ago

Leather slippers (or loafers, think they are called differently in some locations) don’t have laces you could possibly loosen.

Hiking boots and winter shoes are often challenging to put on due to the rigid ankle support.

Other shoes such as Converse and the likes get really worn out and flimsy on the heel, to the point where trying to slip in without support will just wrinkle them up.

Some people are unable to bend down properly due to knee or hip issues, etc.

Shoehorns make life easier for almost everyone. I’ve been using them for 20+ years and wouldn’t miss it.

• ikilledlaurapalmer@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 hours ago

lol I feel like I’m living in a different planet. I’ve got leather loafers. I just pull the on with my finger—never considered they a tn be a problem. Boots, umm, have laces. I also wear sneakers—the only ones that have a crumpled back are those that I’ve knowingly abused by making them effectively slip ons (not untying the laces).

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

I use a shoe horn. It’s stainless steel. It’s never broken and I’ve had it for over 20 years.

I don’t use it often, but for those times when your feet are wet/swollen or the shoes are leather dress shoes, it’s the only way to go.

Plus, anyone with high arches will need that extra assist. It’s not a nationality thing, it’s a foot and shoe type thing.

• Em Adespoton@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          6 hours ago

Have you ever worn a pair of Florsheims or a pair of riding boots? You can totally remove the laces and you’ll still have the same difficulty.

• sircac@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      23 hours ago

“To shoehorn something” is a literal common expression in Spanish, lately often used to indicate a deliberated misdirection of a debate into a different argument at the minimum occasion (usually via any fallacy)… and there are even shoehorns literally with long sticks for the elders…

• ilinamorato@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 hours ago

It’s a fairly common expression in English, too, with much the same meaning. I don’t know what sort of rock these people are living under.

• LifeInMultipleChoice@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

My grandparents from Poland, and my grandparents from Italy had them, my parents and brother have them. I’ve never owned them. But I grew up in Florida, so you don’t need them for flip flops

• ApollosArrow@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 day ago

Some higher end brands come with shoe horns. I have a few now. I will say in all my years I have never broken or deformed one though, and I have some cheap ones from amazon too.