• BreadstickNinja@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

Just spoke to my parents. Uninterrupted subscribers since '73.

I called them right after canceling my own subscription and they’d already canceled theirs.

I hope Bezos is happy losing 51-year patrons of his paper.

• The Octonaut@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 hours ago

Look, that’s honestly quite sad and very telling of the way things are, but I audibly snorted at the idea of Jeff Bezos noticing his income slightly lower this week, panicking, scrambling to find The Borbendorfs’ payment. A single tear wells up, but he wipes it away frantically. Never let them see. Never let them know how it hurts.

• BreadstickNinja@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          43 minutes ago

Yes, and that’s exactly the point, isn’t it?

There are some areas of business that are still built on trust and personal relationships and people trying to right by each other so they can each support their families.

But that’s not the case in modern politics or tech. It doesn’t matter if you have a relationship dating back decades. It’s inconsequential to a billionaire who’s earning a margin on an all the goods - and increasing share of which are brazenly counterfeit - that he sells globally.

Bezos doesn’t care about you, or me, or my aged parents. It’s not only that he doesn’t care about us, but instead that the billionaire class in general doesn’t care about anything besides contingencies to maximize profits and mitigate losses, real-world consequences be damned.

He will never notice any of us. It will not meaningfully affect his paycheck. It is up to each of us, including you, to determine whether to construct meaning in a symbolic act of protest, if an effectual act of protest is no longer an option.