• Athos
    link
    fedilink
    241 year ago
    1. Slices of white bread that you need to toast yourself
    2. Small individual packets of butter and jam
    3. Several different cereals stored in tall plastic containers
    4. Milk is available but only Houdini could find where its actually being kept

“Delicious. Finally, some good fucking food”

• Also the coffee. And the orange juice. And possibly a waffle maker that hasn’t been cleaned in this millennium.

Honestly though, I’m perfectly happy with that kind of a breakfast option. If you take a bit of almost everything it’s a solid breakfast… and usually I take a bagel and cream cheese for a light lunch.

• @puppet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    61 year ago

After being given the option of a free full English, American hotel breakfasts just don’t hit the same.

• Square Singer
      link
      fedilink
      31 year ago

Unless you are in mainland Europe where full English isn’t edible.

That said, a continental breakfast in the UK is equally disappointing.

• @puppet@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        21 year ago

In my experience the food quality in Europe is worlds beyond the United States. Even a bad full English is better than what you’d get at some sit-down restaurants in America. Eggs in America have sickly, pale yellow yolks and breakfasts are usually cooked in motor oil. I always had fresh, decent quality food in Europe — but this was pre-pandemic.

• Square Singer
          link
          fedilink
          11 year ago

Yeah, I was talking more about authenticity than about food quality. So “isn’t edible” was probably the wrong choice of words, you are right.

It’s just that e.g. you can’t get English breakfast sausages in mainland Europe, so they just substitute them with Nuremburg sausages, which look similar, but taste completely different. Breakfast sausages are really bland, which makes them fit in nicely to a breakfast, while Nuremburg sausages have a really intense flavour. They work well for a barbecue, but on a breakfast they really don’t fit in and the combination is pretty bad.

Similar story for fish and chips in Europe. If you buy that stuff over here, you get thin fries instead of chips (which are softer, steak-cut fries), you get some random breaded fish from the freezer (not e.g. a beer batter) and the malt vinegar is usually left out or substituted with spirit vinegar or cider vinegar. The result kinda looks a bit like the original, but it tastes completely different.

• Thelsim
    link
    fedilink
    51 year ago

Lady, you really need to get out of that corset.
    I don’t think your organs are meant to be squeezed like that.