“It’s time we grow up,” says former moderator of jailbait subreddit.

• toodazed@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

At this point this seems intentional. This has definitely pushed me away from Reddit and I’m already seeing a lot more meaningful conversations on Lemmy. All I ever saw on Reddit anyways is people just trying to one up each other on the comment threads for upvotes. Took a lot of scrolling to even get to people actually talking about the topic.

• bigkahuna1986@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Agree it’s intentional. Normies don’t care about any of this and will just follow the memes. Most of us here are the users that had ad blockers and probably didn’t care about giving gold.

• Levii@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

Giving and receiving gold was surprisingly, one of my least favourite things. Someone gave me gold once and i felt beholden to say thank you? I didnt ask for it, i didnt comment in hopes of getting given “gold”. I never gave anyone else gold. Why would i give a shit about getting it myself? Its a fucking forum.

• Puls3@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Reactions are common in lots of forums though, gold is just a special reaction.
          A special upvote if you will, its not really that deep.

• Fredselfish @lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Ramen, exactly 💯 this. Every time I wanted to see what commentary was on the post I would almost have to scroll to the bottom to get any talk about the actual post.

• GuyWithLag@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Reddit OTOH was a good place to discover other things organically (not the enshittification attempt “other people liked that sub” interjections). But the only thing I miss is a way to group my subscriptions.

Currently Lemmy is getting up to speed, and the discussion quality has already started to drop; we’ll see whether communities can police themselves.

• xevizero@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

people just trying to one up each other on the comment threads for upvotes.

Here, have an upvote on me =D

• javelinexaminer@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m actually somewhat happy all this happened now. I’m sad for the 3rd party app devs and everyone who suffers from these decisions. And for the wonderful communities and knowledge bases that were shattered.

But I think it caused me, and many others, to realize that great community and discussions could still be had on the internet, and that we hadn’t been having those for quite a while over on reddit.

• DarkMatterStyx@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m hoping the app developers move to Lemmy. I’d happily pay monthly for Sync, and he could spin up his own server and the fee would cover those costs as well. I’m sure many people would do the same for their favorite apps.

• InputZero@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

What it is Spez? How can people who use third party apps simultaneously be only 3% of the user base (I realize you proved he’s wrong) and significant enough to ruin Reddit’s profitability? Cause if you’re going public and only three percent of your users can ruin Reddit’s profitability you’re in for a rough ride. Investors don’t like too much risk.

• atxlvr@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

really went off the rails there lol. I could tell when you mentioned Snowden/Assange.

• iie@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

you don’t think it’s nuts for snowden critics to mod privacy subreddits when snowden is the guy behind the main leak that showed how fucked our privacy is?

• Anon2971@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Yes, it is. So charge a reasonable API price and this whole argument is over.

But that won’t happen. This is about monetizing Reddit’s content ASAP before Spez resigns ASAP with a nice big, bonus for pushing through those beautiful API changes oh so smoothly.

The more Spez speaks, the less sad I am about Reddit dying. Platforms come and go. There’s loads of Internet corners to discuss my hobbies. I don’t want to stay on a sinking ship with a hole shot out by the captain because he has ship insurance, actively throwing people off board as him and his crew climb up the still buoyant part whilst insisting THIS WILL BLOW OVER. I’m not going down with the Titanic of community boards as it sinks. It’ll die in infamy and I don’t feel like drowning alongside it.

However, I will now thoroughly enjoy watching Spez naively, single-handedly dismantle Reddit’s legacy for short term gain whilst thinking he’s being a super duper smart businessman we couldn’t possibly understand. Or possibly being a forced fallguy for share holder decisions which he has a choice in avoiding by quitting.

I’ve never in all my years of Internet browsing seen someone running an Internet-based company so blatantly indifferent to the customers they serve. There’s no Reddit revenue without Redditors.

I wish him luck on his inevitably piss-poor IPO when Reddit offers little content of value and more people get more angry at him as more ridiculous reasoning flies out of his mouth. Reddit’s gonna look like MSN News by the end of this mess.

• tvix@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I mean there are a lot of parallels with Elon and Twitter.

The thing that amazes me about the Reddit tanking - is how sudden it was. For anyone who was paying more attention than I was at the start - how long were there smoke signals for?

I swear it was like 2 Apollo posts within 48hrs straight into blackout shitstorm within the week.

Elon at least hummed and Harred about it for a good while before destroying Twitter week after week and that was fast.

Spez seems to be speed running it.

• BlackCoffee@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“But I think the greater Reddit community just want to participate with their fellow community members.”

One way to find out right.

• GadgeteerZA@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It is, but pissing off the content creators (core of the business) is NOT the way to go.

• MiddleWeigh@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Playing devils advocate, I suppose some companies have an extremely tight window where they rely on that last 3% after costs…I believe grocery stores operate like this…but reddit is not a food store, and I don’t know wth I’m talking about. (:

• erogenouswarzone@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Don’t get me wrong, reddit has been the worst for about 10-12 years now and keeps getting worse every year, but as long as we’re talking about this mysterious 3%.

How much traffic does that 3% account for? That’s the real metric. I assume it’s more than the avg user.

Also, what is an avg user? Someone that just wants a crowd-sourced opinion once a month is not. Is it someone that just looks at the front page and moves on? Does the avg user post? Do they lurk? Surely they’re not mods.

I realize all these questions are moot, as reddit has been utter garbage since a little before fatpeoplehate got taken down.

• Knusper@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I enjoy how he’s still talking about this as if it’s purely about having 3rd party apps pay a fee, not about his incredibly piss-poor handling of it.

• ghariksforge@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This is why the fediverse is so great. It really is really expensive to run a social media company. By spreading the cost over many actors and encouraging competition, this allows us to host content without being beholden to billionares.

• Puls3@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

I think he’s referring to how Reddit used to operate on Tencent funding.
          Tencent is partially owned by the Chinese government.

• blitzen@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I am asking this in full earnestness: is any critique of the Chinese government assumed to be rooted in xenophobia?

• blitzen@lemmy.ml
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

I feel that maybe you’re reading my question as ‘critique of China is inherently support for the west/US/etc’ which I absolutely do not mean. I think that it’s possible that painting all critique with a broad ‘xenophobia’ brush (while undoubtedly warranted at times) can prevent discussion in good faith.

• Serinus@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

It’s well known and accepted that the Chinese government has significant control of Chinese companies, and Reddit is partially owned by Tencent. That’s not xenophobic.

The fact that it’s something like a 5% stake is more relevant.

• John_Shepard@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“We’re 18 years old,” Huffman said. “I think it’s time we grow up and behave like an adult company.”

Who the hell is this even directed to?

• Doomhammer458@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

All the numbers don’t add up. He says only 3 % of users use apps but then also there is a significant cost to not serve that 3 % ads? They also only make pennies per user. They must count any hit from Google as a user or something wild to boost their numbers.