Copying from the weekly thread, over at !books@lemmy.world :

Finished Summer Knight by Jim Butcher. Fourth book of The Dresden Files. Things keep getting worse, stakes keep getting higher, Harry keep going through hell. Same old, same old.

Currently Reading Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King. It was recommended on reddit for books similar to the comic Y: The Last Man. I didn’t used to like Stephen King much before, but I can understand why. Book is 700 pages long, and first 100 or so pages were pretty much just a set up. I didn’t use to have patience for such slow books in my youth, though I am enjoying it now.

What about you guys? What have you been reading?

P.S: I have mentioned the !books@lemmy.world (and the weekly thread) a few times here. Didn’t see any rules against that, and am just trying to increase engagement for books-related communities, but if there’s any issue with that, I can stop doing it. (Disclaimer, I am a mod there)

• @butterypowered@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    49 months ago

Nearing the end of Oathbringer (Brandon Sanderson, Stormlight Archive #3).

There’s something about his world-building that’s just brilliant. Shame it takes me 6 months to read each one!

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      29 months ago

Oathbringer took me from a Sanderson stan to a bit exhausted. It just felt like a very long slog and not much reward on the path. I’ve been really enjoying his kickstarter books, as they’ve been a bit more svelte, while maintaining his unique penchant for setting up a magical playground and always managing to surprise you with how his toys interact.

• @butterypowered@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

I know what you mean although, because I get so little time to read, I tend to put that down to me losing track of plots. Particularly with larger books.

Maybe my habit of alternating high fantasy with Discworld books maybe balances out more than I realise.

Good to know the kickstarter books are a bit different too. Will keep that in mind!

• @dresdenOP
        link
        English
        19 months ago

I think middle parts suffer in most long series. I don’t recall much from the Oathbringer though, but I remember liking it when I read it. May notice the issues during re-read.

And yeah, loving the secret projects. I think we needed these from him as much as he needed to write these. 😀

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      29 months ago

I have yet to read any of R. A. Salvatore’s books. How are you liking them?

• @MisterBigFart@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        29 months ago

Salvatore’s Drizzt series is what got me into reading like 20 years ago. I loved them then and now the CQ series is reminding me why. They are very easy reads with likable characters and I think his writing really shines when it comes to action/battle scenes.

• @dresdenOP
          link
          English
          29 months ago

Nice. I have got a huge backlog in last few months, but will check them out soon.

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    29 months ago

Abercrombie-August has stretched into September. After finishing the First Law Trilogy, I started reading the copy of The Heroes I picked up from a bookstore over the summer. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen someone create this very detailed examination of a wholly imaginary battle. It’s like I picked up one of my dad’s books on Gettysburg, except there’s a scheming wizard hanging around.

After this, I’m eyeing something breezy like Dome City Blues by Jeff Edwards or A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab. I read Babel last month, and I’ve come to terms with my weakness for: “London but with Magic.” I also want to jump on More Perfect by Temi Oh. I saw Hadestown last winter, and I’m in for some reinterpretations of the Orpheus/Eurydice story.

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      29 months ago

I should get back to First Law Trilogy one of these days. The Heroes is the next book on list.

Haven’t heard of the other books you mentioned, would love to hear your opinion once you have read them.

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        29 months ago

Welp, I tore through The Heroes in less than a week 😆 – not only did I like it, but it’s made me certain I’m going to read the other two “First Law World” books. Doing Darker Shade of Magic now it’s… okay so far. Feels a bit young-adulty for my tastes right now.

• Jerzy D
          link
          fedilink
          29 months ago

@cdipierr @dresden I banged through them and read sewuentially til Red Country. It was a good romp for several books but does Peter out. I kept just wanting to read the Logan portions and there was very little of that eventually.

• @cdipierr@beehaw.org
            link
            fedilink
            English
            29 months ago

Say one thing for Logen Ninefingers, say he’s a fun POV character.

Luckily Abercrombie has a wide cast of bloody-handed northmen, scheming wizards, cringing nobles, and other fun miscreants after the Bloody Nine has left the stage. A big thing I loved about The Heroes is how it managed to bring me a whole new crop of characters to enjoy, and lose, just contained in that book. I’m excited about the “industrial revolution” sequel trilogy with a next generation of characters. It’s like my father always said: Once you have a sequel trilogy, it’s better to read it than live with the fear it.

After all, you have to be realistic about these things.

• Jerzy D
              link
              fedilink
              29 months ago

@cdipierr try Savage Dominion by Luke Chmilenko after you’re done with Abercrombie! I’m currently on Blood Song by Anthony Ryan which I would also recommend.

• @cwagner@lemmy.cwagner.me
    link
    fedilink
    29 months ago

Finished “The Far Reaches”, 6 scifi short stories on Kindle Unlimited by James S.A. Corey, Veronica Roth, Rebecca Roanhorse, Ann Leckie, Nnedi Okorafor, and John Scalzi. All were great, and for several of them I’d have loved it to expand into a full novel or series. Maybe some day ;)

Next up was another short story, Glynn Stewart’s “Mage-Queen’s Thief”, playing between the last two “Starship’s Mage” novels.

And now, after about a year, I’ve returned to LitRPG with Shattersoul, book 4 of “The Ripple System” by Kyle Kirrin which is a series I got recommended on Reddit.

On a related note, I accidentally found a site that I wanted for years, and several times started (but then abandoned) building myself: One where you can follow authors and series, and get notifications about new releases. And apparently it existed since 1999 and no one knows about it (or at least none of the people who saw my posts over the years, asking for exactly this): https://www.fantasticfiction.com

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      29 months ago

Thanks for mentioning fantasticfiction.com, I have seen it mentioned a couple of times, but always thought would check it later and then forgot.

Generally, I just use LibraryThing (and Wikipedia) and they usually have very uptodate information, but there is no way to subscribe to any author / series and get the updates, you have to manually look up the author / series. So a way to automatically get the update sounds nice.

The Far Reaches sounds great, I have heard great things about James S.A. Corey, Veronica Roth and John Scalzi. So, should look it up.

• @cwagner@lemmy.cwagner.me
        link
        fedilink
        29 months ago

Yeah, looking up just makes me forget authors until I see them years later … So yeah, happy to finally have found it ;)

And considering the authors of far reaches you listed, you should really check out ann leckie and her ancillary justice series, probably one of my favorite series in the last 10 years

• @dresdenOP
          link
          English
          29 months ago

you should really check out ann leckie and her ancillary justice series, probably one of my favorite series in the last 10 years

Thanks for the recommendation, going to check it out.

• Jerzy D
      link
      fedilink
      29 months ago

@cwagner @dresden thanks for the recommendations. I’m currently enjoying book 2 of Ravens Shadow by Anthony Ryan. In the LitRpg world I really enjoyed Savage Dominion by Chmilenko, a great series, that has a Discworld tone through out.

• @dresdenOP
        link
        English
        19 months ago

That sounds great. Thanks for the recommendation!