We're in the 21st century, and the vast majority of us still believe in an utterly and obviously fictional creator deity. Plenty of people, even in developed countries with decent educational systems, still believe in ghosts or magic (e.g. voodoo). And I–an atheist and a skeptic–am told I need to respect these patently false beliefs as cultural traditions.

Fuck that. They're bad cultural traditions, undeserving of respect. Child-proofing society for these intellectually stunted people doesn't help them; it is in fact a disservice to them to pretend it's okay to go through life believing these things. We should demand that people contend with reality on a factual basis by the time they reach adulthood (even earlier, if I'm being completely honest). We shouldn't be coddling people who profess beliefs that are demonstrably false, simply because their feelings might get hurt.

• Kzin@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

In times of trouble there's a need for god. An anchor of hope, if you will. Intellectually I agree with you completely. Furthermore, religion should never be allowed to exist if that religion won't accept other religions or a lack of religion.

I'm not religious at all. If I want people to respect that, I have to respect others right to think what they do.

• BruceTwarzen@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There aren't many really religious people where i live, but i used to work for a pretty hardcore jewish family once. They were pretty nice people, but if they refuse to shake my hand because i'm "dirty" and lowkey belittle me because i'm not Jewish, it makes it really hard for me to have any respect for their believes or them as people in general.

• Kzin@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

If they won't respect your belief then their belief is not to be respected.

• Kzin@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

And that's a good thing. Organized religion is a disgusting institution of control. Belief isn't. It's incredibly stupid, but not disgusting.

• Perfide@reddthat.com
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Why is that a good thing? Why do you "need" God in those times if during those times God is still doing nothing to help? What is the benefit?

• Kzin@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

You make a solid point, that I fully agree with. I absolutely hate all forms of organized religion.

I made an error in claiming that religion is a good thing. I live in very secular part of the world. Maybe the type and frequency of lies (in a religious area of the world) guides you away from it.

The benefit can be reached by far better means.