We're in the 21st century, and the vast majority of us still believe in an utterly and obviously fictional creator deity. Plenty of people, even in developed countries with decent educational systems, still believe in ghosts or magic (e.g. voodoo). And I–an atheist and a skeptic–am told I need to respect these patently false beliefs as cultural traditions.

Fuck that. They're bad cultural traditions, undeserving of respect. Child-proofing society for these intellectually stunted people doesn't help them; it is in fact a disservice to them to pretend it's okay to go through life believing these things. We should demand that people contend with reality on a factual basis by the time they reach adulthood (even earlier, if I'm being completely honest). We shouldn't be coddling people who profess beliefs that are demonstrably false, simply because their feelings might get hurt.

• cannibalia@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

You can't humiliate someone into changing their mind, especially something so critical to their identity. Minds are changed slowly, with love. With conversations and questions that make them think about it later. If you dunk on someone, they'll just remember how mad you made them what an asshole you are. If you tactfully ask them questions that expose their own hypocrisy, you might just trigger a shower thought epiphany.

• HatterTheSad@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Have you talked to a Christian Cultist Republican lately? I'm not sure your tactic would work when there's so much hate on the other side

• Olhonestjim@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

"My side has held all the power for thousands of years and I've never experienced anything else, certainly not your side ever even once. And that is how I know you stupid evil dumb guys are bigger jerks than any of us!"

That's you. That's what you sound like.

• HatterTheSad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

somewhat conservative

You then use liberal like it was burning a hole through your pocket lol

What British philosopher are you referring to? One of the founding fathers? Thomas paine or Samuel Addams? They were pretty good philosophers

Congratulations, you can comprehend the constitution, we do have religious freedom, so suck my dick, I will not worship your god. And though you cultist would gladly lay waste to everything that constitution stands for to make every American follow your values. For example: gay people,abortion, your feelings on communism, atheists, if it's not white.

you don't give a fuck about other people's rights or the constitution, you're the first that wants to take rights away from others and the first to cry "but my constitution" when they try to do anything against what you want. But Jesus fucking Christ, not everyone believes in your stupid god.

• 1847953620@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

I'm a Christian and somewhat conservative. And I can without a doubt say there's more hate coming from you liberal leftist communist atheists. I have a constitutional right to believe in whatever the fuck I want to believe in and live by values that have been passed down thousands of years, instead of living by the propaganda of some hateful British philosopher.