• Norgur
    link
    fedilink
    769 months ago

They were called nothing (at least in English) because they were first described somewhere in the 18th century and they knew about electricity by then. Boring answer, but that's how it is.

• @niktemadur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      189 months ago

There were plenty of oral reports of fishermen being overcome by a violent seizure when sorting through a netted catch. They knew which fish it was, they just had no concept of electricity yet. It took a scientist from the Royal Society in London - can't recall his name - to link the fish with electricity, he and his colleagues were astonished that a living creature could biologically produce such an electric discharge as intense as a Leyden Jar (a rudimentary precursor to Volta's invention of the battery as we still know it today).

• @wolf6152@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      39 months ago

Yep. Nothing existed before the 18th century white explorer came along and named everything in English.

• Norgur
        link
        fedilink
        509 months ago

Given that the question at hand is limited to the English language, the answer is limited to the English language.

Any names the animal had in other languages will most likely not have changed after electricity was discovered so there will be no change in name there. The joke won't work in most other languages, even if they only discovered out little zappy friends after English speaking people did. In German, the eel is called Zitteraal (twitch-eel), so no need to know what electricity is: "my hand goes twitchy once I touch this slimy sea snake" is enough.

• Johanno
    link
    fedilink
    479 months ago

In German they are called "Zitteraal" literally translated: tremble eel

Named after the people who were trembling on touch.

• @sploosh@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    229 months ago

Prior to our understanding of electricity, many believed that electricty-producing animals were injecting some sort of venom.

• Bubonic [they/them]
    link
    fedilink
    English
    29 months ago

I was curious and started reading into it, apparently the ancient Egyptians used to call electric fish (as they hadn’t discovered electric eels by that point) “Thunderer of the Nile”