• Mighty@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Let me get all the hate.

No ads= no income for the YouTube content creators. “But you can support them directly” But do you? I guess 0.1% of viewers buy merch or donate or are patreo subscribers. How do you want to get good content on YouTube without anyone paying for it? Can’t be mad if the content is getting worse and the sponsor messages are getting more and more.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

In the past, I didn’t block ads on YouTube for the reason you describe. The amount has increased so much over the last couple of years that I had to start - multiple unskippable ads before a video are just not acceptable.

Instead I subscribe to Patreons (which I swap around every couple of weeks depending on who I watch the most).

• Neato@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Most YT creators are getting most of their money from the sponsors they promote. YT ads suck for revenue unless you’re gigantic and with how yt will demonetize you for literally anything it’s too unreliable too be sustainable.

• danque@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I only started when a 1:00 video had 0:30 unskippable ads at the beginning and another 0:30 at the end. If the ad is more than the video why bother watching the ads.

I’ve also had moments were I wanted to see 1 specific point for a couple seconds, but just have to watch unskippable ads before I can scroll to the part I wanted to check (like a tutorial part).