• @Cabeza2000@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 year ago

So many to pick… But I will choose only a few…

Age of Empires 2

Sid Meier’s Alpha Centauri

Heroes of Might and Magic III

Civilization

Doom 2

• @lungdart@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 year ago
    • Ff4, 6, and 7
    • Chronotrigger
    • Super Metroid
    • Castlevania SOTN
    • Zelda a Link to the past
    • Tony hawk’s pro skater 1 and 2
    • Any of the street fighter
    • Pokemon
    • Star craft + brood war
    • Diablo 1 and 2

And so much more!

• at_an_angle
    link
    fedilink
    231 year ago

Top 5

Doom and Doom II

Command and Conquer: Red Alert

Super Mario World

StarCraft with Brood War expansion

Duke 3D

• oʍʇǝuoǝnu
    link
    fedilink
    161 year ago

Hard to pick one but if I had to I’d go with Final Fantasy VII since it was the game that got me into RPGs, and I got some good memories of watching my brother play it when we were kids.

• @jballs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      51 year ago

I remember beating Final Fantasy VII and just staring at my TV in shock. Like, mouth hanging open, mind blown.

What’s crazy is for the life of me, I can’t even remember the basic gist of the ending of the game today. I just remember how it made me feel.

• Earthbound and Chronotrigger are the two games with the most memories for me.

U. N. Squadron and Super Punch-out! We’re the two I played through the most - just over and over again. So much fun.

• @Platform27@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    141 year ago
    1. Quake
    2. Thief
    3. Metal Gear Solid
    4. Half Life
    5. System Shock 2

Honourable mention to Final Fantasy 7, and Zelda Ocarina of Time. They might have been great when released, but I don’t think they’ve aged well.

• ed
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

@Platform27@lemmy.ml @mayflower@lemmy.ml Those are some excellent choices. I’d pick quake for multiplayer - and SS2 for single. Honorable mention to Dune 2.

• Evil_Shrubbery
      link
      fedilink
      11 year ago

Yeah, super nice choices!

With exception of MGS, I still play all of those (Quake and Thief series) every few years.

• samick1
    link
    fedilink
    121 year ago

Total Annihilation… couldn’t get enough of it. Even playing strategy games today I desperately miss the elaborate control and mechanics of TA.

• monsterpiece42
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Pretty sure you can get a modern copy of TA. Either on steam or gog.

And if you like the general style but want to broaden your horizons a bit, Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance and Planetary Annihilation: Titans are both good options!

• @Lordran_Hollow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    121 year ago

My favorite games as a child growing up in the 90s:

Zelda OoT

Super Mario 64

Pokemon Red

Zelda OoA/OoS

Though after later playing Final Fantasy 7 in 2003 that quickly captivated me and became really special to me. It was my first Final Fantasy I ever played and one of my most cherished games to this day.

Also, while I never played the original 90s game, I absolutely adored Black Mesa and the Half Life franchise. It was damn impressive what Valve accomplished with the original Half Life back then.

• @fireweed@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Handheld it’s Pokemon red/blue, no competition.

Edit: although it’s actually gold/silver if that counts (released 1999 in Japan, 2000 in North America)

• @teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      21 year ago

Yes, I spent many years with red/blue/yellow, but I have to say, gold/silver were the most bang for the buck. I remember reading so many articles about what the new game would have (day night cycle, radio with daily lottery system, weekly events, new pokeball types, holding/berry systems, etc.) and they delivered on absolutely everything in spades. It was only after I beat the elite four that I realized you could go back to kanto and do 8 more gyms! It was by far the most satisfied I have ever been with a new release to a series. I have since read that the devs were under the impression that it would be the last game in the franchise (lol!) so they poured everything into it. And it shows.

• @moreeni@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    111 year ago

Fallout. I’m yet to play the second part and people say it’s even better. You just don’t see such game design anymore, I can’t say modern or old one is better, both have their advantages but playing Fallout was totally worth it