The consumption is the point. They just want candy not a meal. They want fucking marvelslop not Cinema.

Inb4 let people enjoy things, the mindset on display is a perfect member of capitalist society. A mindless consumption machine.

• WithoutFurtherRelay [they/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

So your answer is apparently to call me “really stupid” for doing that with three question marks, all while presuming I was insulting you, all because you apparently feel so defensive about your treats that criticisms of those treats (or maybe even the bad parts of their fandom) are taken like personal attacks.

I have literally not watched a single marvel movie in what is likely a year and last time I did it was probably because of my family. I literally can’t remember, and I couldn’t give a single fuck about the brand and in fact hate literally all of it and wish it would die.

You are the one acting defensive about having a treat criticized. I have absolutely no stake in Marvel. I do not care about Marvel. What I do care about is my comrades not being asses for no reason, and that is what I’m concerned about. And, unlike consuming terrible slop, insulting people who don’t deserve it is directly harmful behavior.

Actually it kind of is here, especially how you frame it with such excessively ungenerous presumptive portrayal, and declared what you think I thought was “really stupid” with three question marks. You don’t want me to share what I think here, and maybe even don’t want me to think it at all. In other words, you apparently do want my thoughts policed.

The point isn’t that it isn’t a form of verbal suppression (yes, it is, yes, I do think insults against people over things that are not actually harmful should in fact be suppressed), but that it is a blatantly silly thing to consider bad because it is literally just normal social behavior.

Like, honestly, yeah, I’m thought policing, and I’m fine with it. If your treats being criticized and thought policed pisses you off so much maybe you shouldn’t consume them. Or are you going to tell me to just let you enjoy things?

This isn’t freeze-peach town. I don’t give a single fuck if what I’m saying is “authoritarian” or whatever. Unironically, it would make me much happier if you and everyone else were to think of these things in terms of social systems instead of hating random people who mean no harm and probably just like shit because their meemaw said Thor was cool or something, and I am not ashamed of that.

Edit: and I am sorry about the smuglord tone of my first comment, and somewhat this one. It isn’t even remotely acceptable. My only excuse is that it seems to be the only way to get through to people online, in my experience. I do respect you and part of why I even bring this up is because I respect you and the rest of the people I’m criticizing over this. I wouldn’t care nearly as much if you were all just random people, but I know for a fact that this can be a kind and caring community and is very often, and I despise what I see as an obstacle to that not being taken seriously, or worse, dismissed out of hand because of the superficial absurdity of it. I know it’s weird to give a fuck about what a bunch of people on the internet say about someone I don’t care about online, but I know that this case is innocent and innocuous enough that it would be trivial for that anger to turn around and target both myself or basically anyone else on here. I don’t want that to be this community and it’s sad to me that I don’t even know how to really communicate that feeling without it being drowned out and lost in the sea of internet irony poisoning and detachment. I will not respond further until I return from logging off, and again I am really sorry about how rude I have been. Thank you for reading this massive text block.

• Venus [she/her]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I have literally not watched a single marvel movie in what is likely a year

I have never watched a marvel movie pathetic

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

You are the one acting defensive about having a treat criticized.

I wasn’t even talking to you whatsoever until you started by calling me “really stupid.”

https://hexbear.net/comment/4232675

and again I am really sorry about how rude I have been

If you were actually sorry you wouldn’t have included “totally didn’t insult you in excessive reactive defensiveness over a treat, just called you ‘really stupid’ in the first reply which totally doesn’t count” in this very same reply.

I’m not even going to address the rest because you can’t even own up to what you already did from the start here.

• WithoutFurtherRelay [they/them, she/her]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

I made the edit part after everything else, I only left the rest because 1. I’m tired and yes I honestly should have deleted it and 2. It feels insincere to just have removed it all and then left only the edit

Please, I’m trying to be open here, I really don’t want this to just become an exchange of insults or anger. I’m only arguing about this because I care about your opinion and it legitimately scares me that people like you could just… stop caring about supporting or even being nice to me just because I said something cringe or weird

I know I was hostile. That wasn’t ok. But I was scared, I was angry, and I don’t really know what else to say, I can’t apologize or make it up to you in any way more than I already have. I didn’t delete it because I didn’t want to come across as basically gaslighting you by insulting you and then pretending it didn’t happen, but if you want I can delete all this.

I really don’t want to make you hate me for a prolonged period. I am willing to do anything to try and make it up to you, legitimately. I will delete all of my comments on this post if you want that. I don’t want to be an annoying debate-bro, I just want a community I can feel safe in

• UlyssesT [he/him]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

So much for the tired and going to bed announcement.

I’m trying to be open here

Then stop dodging labels and denying what you have already directly done in this thread.

I know I was hostile. That wasn’t ok. But I was scared, I was angry, and I don’t really know what else to say

Owning up to it is good and a good start and I sincerely respect that. Yes, that is what I tend to call treat defense and the way you blew up at me from the start seemed like a textbook example of it. It’s not a fatal error and I think it’s best to just accept that you did react the way you did and just back down from that from there.

I really don’t want to make you hate me for a prolonged period. I am willing to do anything to try and make it up to you, legitimately. I will delete all of my comments on this post if you want that. I don’t want to be an annoying debate-bro, I just want a community I can feel safe in

Things are fine. I don’t hate you. I actually respect you quite a bit now for the vulnerability you’ve just shown. That takes courage.