I bought the game on eBay and have been playing it on my newly modded Gameboy Advance. IPS screen, new case & buttons. It’s very nice; I’ll post a picture later.

It’s not explained too well on what’s best to battle with. How do I know when to use an electric vs. fire without trial and error? Or is that the point?

I wonder how people figured this out before the internet was so huge.

I’m struggling to stay interested in the game. I couldn’t quite figure out the purpose until later in the game… got to catch them all. But catching them all is just kinda boring to do. Maybe it’s because I’m 37 and not 12 haha.

• @MimicJar@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    76 months ago

So you can learn about the rock-paper-scissors formula either by trial and error or in talking to some NPCs. I think the guy just inside each gym will also give you tips.

However it’s worth noting that Generation 1 (like Pokemon Red) has a number of unintentional bugs programmed into it. As a result Psychic type Pokemon are extra powerful. If you can get one of those, you’ll be in good shape.

Additionally, some of the early game can be difficult to figure out. For example if you picked Charmander as your starter, you might be OK with Viridian Forest, but the first two gyms and related battles will be much more difficult.

Gen 1 is also missing A LOT of quality of life improvements. If you can, I recommend Pokemon Fire Red (or Leaf Green). It’s the remake of Gen 1 and it’s for the Gameboy Advance.

• @janNatan@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    66 months ago

Printed guides existed for the game, I had one as a kid. But I didn’t get it until after I had already played through the game.

You can learn the type advantages by a trial and error. You can learn what types Pokemon are by catching them.

The game tells you when a move is not effective. If that happens, try another move. You’ll eventually learn the type matchups.

• amio
    link
    fedilink
    56 months ago

I learned most of it by trial and error as a kid with fairly shaky English. Most of the type system is fairly logical, and some other internal logic starts making sense after a while - mind you, that logic is still relatively weird in gen1 particularly. As a quick tip, get yourself an Abra or other Psychic type, they are broken as fuck in Red/Blue and you will be meeting a lot of important trainers who are susceptible to Psychic damage.

If it’s not for you, that’s fine. It was “early days”, it’s unpolished, buggy, and so on - and that’s if the other Pokemon games are your thing. Try FireRed/LeafGreen, they’re the same game but in a gen3 “engine” that’s a little less primitive.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      16 months ago

Thanks for the tips! I had trouble figuring out what to carry around. However, I’ve been doing really well so far, I beat everyone I’ve played so far. Maybe I’m just moving around too slowly and getting too buff.

• James Baxter
    link
    English
    46 months ago

Why are there downvotes? This community needs conversation! Just play what makes you happy OP. You don’t have to love it.

• @Blackmist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    36 months ago

Before the internet, people figured it out on their own, because you got like two games a year, and not figuring it out meant six more months of Tetris.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      16 months ago

I think that’s kind of the point of what I’m saying. Now that I’m older with way more choice it seems more difficult to choose this game. However, as a kid I could see me loving it.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      26 months ago

Oh, that’s what meant to say I’m playing. FireRed.

• @fsxylo@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        36 months ago

FireRed should have a glossary of every element with every weakness and strength. Should be accessible from the pause menu? Or hitting one of the bumper buttons? It’s been a while.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          English
          16 months ago

I’ll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip once I start picking it up again.

• @Couldbealeotard@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    26 months ago

Don’t forget there was a cartoon on TV at the same time to promote the game that also explained a lot about the mechanics.

And the internet was already a thing at the time. GameFAQs was in it’s prime.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      16 months ago

That’s true, I remember watching that show occasionally. I never had the video games as a kid… but my friends did.