Finished Dark Moon by David Gemell. Ending was a bit quick, and left a bit to be desired, but overall I enjoyed the book, and would try some more of his work.

Reading The Better Part of Valour by Tania Huff, book 2 of Confederation. It’s a next military mission in the life of our protagonist, but rest of the whole cast is changed, would be interesting to see if that happens every time or we get old faces next time.

Also started Your Money or Your Life : 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship With Money and Achieving Financial Independence by Vicki Robin / Joe Dominguez. It was highly recommended on reddit’s financial independence subs, so when I recently saw someone had a copy, borrowed it right away. I am still on first chapter, so can’t say much at all, but it seems interesting.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening?

• @OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    4 months ago

Just started listening to the Crown Tower by Michael J Sullivan. I had read and listened to his magnificent Ryiria Revelations several times, but hadn’t touched the prequel series. It’s good.

• @pancake@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      24 months ago

I’ve been meaning to read his work. Do you think it should be read in the order it was published or can the related series be read in any order?

• @BallShapedMan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    34 months ago

You Are Not So Smart by David McRaney, and The Menopause Manifesto by Dr. Jen Gunter.

The first is one I’m taking notes on for work. The second my wife read last month as we’re starting to get older and she recommended I read it as well.

• @runjun@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

I just finished Blood Music by Greg Bear and really enjoyed it. I believe I saw the recommendation on lemmy so thanks to whomever recommended it.

I’d like to see it adapted to a show or movie by someone who could capture the more grotesque portions. But I feel like the unique aspects would be lost in translation and it would end up feeling derivative of the genre.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

Blood Music looks interesting, going to add it to my list.

What are planning to pick up next?

• @runjun@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        14 months ago

I just started Tai-Pan by James Clavell. I read Shogun within in the last year and really enjoyed that. I didn’t start this right away because I heard it was part of Clavell’s trilogy but didn’t realize it wasn’t a continuous story so that disappointed me. But I’m over that now so now I can enjoy this story for what it is without that baggage.

• smallsubsidy
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

just finished the Witcher series on Netflix, so i ordered the novels and i’m gonna read them as soon as they arrive :) from what everybody says though it’s going to be a bit different from the Netflix adaptation

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      24 months ago

Yeah, Netflix adaptation was… different. Also, read some articles about how show runners didn’t even like the source material, but don’t know how authentic those articles were.

• @brenticus@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

Just started A Film in Which I Play Everyone by Mary Jo Bang this morning. It’s a short poetry book, pretty good so far and I’ll probably blast through it today.

After that… I left On Liberty and Fellowship of the Ring unfinished at the end of last year and I should really finish those up. Both really good, both just got left at the bedside for a while for no reason, as is tradition.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      14 months ago

How would say it is for a complete poetry newbie?

Good luck with finishing your bedside books! 😀

• @brenticus@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Thanks!

I’d say that most modern poetry (at least as far as I’ve read) is basically fine for newbies. Like, if you enjoy or dislike something hard on vague vibes without any deep analysis of understanding there’s nothing wrong with that. It’s super subjective anyways, even more than normal taste in books.

This one sort of has this lonely, surreal streak to it. Melancholic, almost nostalgic at times. If that sounds interesting to you then check it out and see how it matches your taste!

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          14 months ago

Thanks for the info! Will check it out!

• @SpiceDealer@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

I’m currently reading The Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons, the followup to Hyperion. I finished Hyperion during the first week of the new year so it was only fitting that I would read the sequel next.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      14 months ago

How did you like the Hyperion? It’s been a while I have seen it mentioned.

• @SpiceDealer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        34 months ago

I liked it a lot. So much so that since reading it anytime someone asks me “what’s your religion” I say “cult for the Shrike.” I even reference it (and Dune) in my profile description here on lemmy.

• @dresdenOPM
            link
            English
            24 months ago

Yeah, don’t know why people do that…

• @dresdenOPM
            link
            English
            24 months ago

deleted by creator

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          34 months ago

Heh, I haven’t actually read the series so don’t know what that means, but I can see your love for the series. Maybe it’s time to bump it close to top of my wishlist.

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              24 months ago

So much to read, so little time…

Though it has been on my wishlist for quite a while, and I am trying to focus on books that have been on the list for long, so should get to it soon-ish.

• @BonesOfTheMoon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

Willy Vlautin, The Night Always Comes. Holy shit is it dark but VERY good.

John Danielle, ‘Devil House’. Absolutely outstanding. He’s such a great artist, musician and writer both.

• TheFlopster
    link
    fedilink
    24 months ago

I just finished Scales of Justice, book #18 in the Inspector Alleyn series by Ngaio Marsh, and I think I need a break from it for a bit. They’re nice little cozy mysteries, and I’ll go back to them, but I need a change of mood and scenery.

My next planned book is a reread of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan starting with The Eye of The World. I read the first 6(?) or so of this series about 20 years ago when it was still unfinished. Now that there’s an ending, I’m going to start over and then finish the series.

• slazer2au
    link
    fedilink
    English
    24 months ago

Still working through Debt of Honour by Tom Clancy in Audiobook.