• The Snark Urge
    link
    fedilink
    English
    148 months ago

Stealing this argument. Not that I hope it will change anyone’s mind, but I hope it hurts their feelings at least.

• wjrii
          link
          fedilink
          58 months ago

What’s doubly amusing is that he was very much an outlier in his day, hence the need to GTFO of Missouri after Joseph Smith got himself shot. A nicely layered meme, if I do say so myself.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    English
    28 months ago

If it were me, I just wouldn’t acknowledge that the question was even asked.

The only response that question merits is silence or, “I don’t discuss my personal life with strangers.” If they keep pushing, accuse them of sexually harassing you.

Or, you could antagonize them and say, “I’m pretty sure that’s the name of the prostitute from last night, so I guess so.” but that’s probably not wise if you’re at work.

• wjrii
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      8 months ago

The meme may be lost on you if you are not an ex-mormon. That question is asked of everyone from age 12 on up by their bishop (think pastor or preacher in normal Protestant context) in private, regularly scheduled interviews to determine whether the person is worthy to remain a member of the congregation in good standing, and as is typical in these sorts of things, lying is frowned upon. It’s sort of like a reverse confession.

It’s suuuuuper creepy, and among other things teaches teenagers that they’re bad people and hypocrites who will need a lifetime of church attendance and internal promises to repent and do better so they don’t disappoint anyone important to them.