Iraq’s official media regulator has directed all media and social media companies operating not to use the term “homosexuality". The Arab stated told to replace the word ‘homosexuality’ with ‘sexual deviance’, Reuters’ report mentioned.

• katy ✨
    link
    fedilink
    English
    5211 months ago

Why do strict religious governments in the Middle East resemble Republican and Conservative governments in the west so much?

• @Moonrise2473@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    English
    3711 months ago

I will never understand the mind of religious nuts. Stealing, killing, cheating, crimes that are explicitly written in stone as commandments: “ah that’s ok it’s human nature”. Kissing someone you like: “noooooooooo”

• @goforliftoff@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1011 months ago

It’s like when some places in the US stopped testing for COVID - no tests = no positive results = no COVID. Flawless logic.

• @whataboutshutup
      link
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

They don’t want to eliminate anything. That’s just an easy win in the hearts of fanatics and one more layer of oppression. Like if there are lack of them: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_rights_in_Iraq What’s more there to add?

Although, eradicating homosexuality as a possible thing from a public speech has weight. Mixing them with whatever-you-can-think-of too.

If someone less brainwashed could’ve had some compassion for a ‘misguided’, ‘ill-informed’ person, now they’d not even know if they were charged for being gay (or a sin of sodomy, yup) when this state hangs them. In the media, they would be not unlike a serial child rapist. And gay people just don’t exist anymore, yeah, just deviants.

Also, their ‘honor’ thingie. Their families and quiet supporters ‘enablers’ would be even more publicly embarassed and looked down than before, if not treated as complicit in their ‘crime’. It may increase the lasting damage on their lives.

Imagine being a parent of a hanged ‘sexual deviant’ in Iraq. You aren’t even a failure, you created a monster. And you are, probs, a monster yourself. Lets add some mob justice to spice things up!

I have a pretty shakey understanding of their current national mentality, but I think it is bigger and more dangerous than a kek on them, silly undoers of the Big Gay in one stroke of a pen.

• @zefiax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      311 months ago

Ronald, not Ron. No nicknames in Florida until he gets a signed form from his mom permitting him to use Ron.

• Max_Power
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1211 months ago

They can’t seem to think about anything else than sex and homosexuality. Must be exhausting.

• @foiledAgain@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    811 months ago

THAT’S what will fix our country! That was the missing piece! It’s all rainbo… I mean, prosperity from here on in. /s

• @Yuki@kutsuya.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    411 months ago

How closeted can you be… They kiss each other in the cheek, sometimes lips, but using a word is too much?

• FuglyDuck
      link
      fedilink
      English
      edit-2
      11 months ago

That’s not really closeted. For them that’s just a greeting.

Its like telling a football player that slapping another dude’s ass in tights is gay. (Not to mention chasing other dudes in said tights…)

Just a different culture.

It’s still a very closeted and homophobic culture, but that’s not why.

• Bunnylux
        link
        fedilink
        English
        911 months ago

I see what you’re saying, but football gay as hell

• FuglyDuck
          link
          fedilink
          English
          111 months ago

Yes, I was that nerd at the state fair cheering for the robotics teams the first time the held state finals at the fair… even though I don’t have a kid, or know any of them.

I wish I had that when I was in school. Give me battlebots any day of the week.