Reading The Better Part of Valour by Tanya Huff. Book 2 of Confederation series. Life has been pretty busy lately, so this one is taking quite a while to finish.

What about all of you? Which books have you been reading or listening lately?

• @bramkaandorp@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    33 months ago

84K by Claire North. It’s a dystopian novel about corporatization of government.

At first glance that might sound generic, but she’s an incredible writer, and really makes the world she created come alive.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      23 months ago

Wow, she is writing since she was 14. First book published when she was 16. Will check it out. Thanks!

• @j4k3@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    33 months ago

The Bicentennial Man and Other Stories by Isaac Asimov. One of the many collections of short stories that originally appeared in periodicals of the 1950’s-1970’s.

His exploration of an intuitive AGI through a misogynistic lens of the late 1960’s in Feminine Intuition was interesting.

The story Waterclap, about the struggles of an engineer from Lunar City on the moon against the deep sea colony of Ocean-Deep with a tone of social commentary about conspiracy and lack of long term human planning were also interesting perspectives to ponder, especially when considering this was written in 1969.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I’m finishing up Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik today and will start Kill the Farm Boy by Kevin Herne and Delilah S. Dawson. It’s the last item for my r/Fantasy BINGO card I started last year and due before April 1st.

• @blubton@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

Did some re-reading of Anna Karenina and Pride and Prejudice. Now reading George Orwells “Homage to Catalonia”, his memoir of his time as a volunteer against the fascists in the Spanish civil war. I’m about a third of the way in and so far it has been quite enjoyable, but I am hoping for some more politics later on; right now it is mostly about the situation on the front.

• @HelixDab2@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

“You Have the Right To Remain Innocent”, by James Duane. He also has had a few very famous videos on YouTube, which can best be summed up as, “Under advice from counsel, I am invoking my fifth amendment right to remain silent. I want an attorney.”

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      13 months ago

Just looked it up, looks interesting. Also just found out that using fifth amendment can be used as evidence against you, I thought that wasn’t allowed.

• @HelixDab2@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        23 months ago

IIRC, you need to actually assert that you are exercising your 5A rights; simply remaining silent is not sufficient.

But yeah, SCOTUS has really significantly weakened that amendment, in a very bad way.

• @OhmsLawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

We just started the audiobook of Peter B Brett’s The Warded Man. I had read it before, but it’s my Lady’s first time with it.

I remember tiring of the series eventually, but I also think there were fewer books back then. So far it’s thoroughly entertaining.

• @KestrelAlex@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

The most recent interesting ones have been The Age of Deer(all about deer in North America from a social perspective), scarcity brain(how our brains seem rigged for gambling and how it affects our lives) and WordSlut(gender politics and how it interacts with language).

I’ve never been much into reading fiction, but would love good human-adjacent(ie not particle physics) nonfic recommendations.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      13 months ago

Without knowing much about your tastes, you can check what different people are reading in these weekly threads, and see if anything catches your eye. Or you can make a new thread asking for exactly you are looking for.

• @MadBabs@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I’m listening to The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel and American Prometheus by Kai Bird and Martin J Sherwin

• eightpix
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

Listening to Sexual Politics (1969) by Kate Millett.

There’s a part in chapter 2 (her theory of sexual politics) that, essentially, encapsulates the wedge we are witnessing now, 55 years later.

It’s wild that concepts and the attendant issues of sex, sexuality, gender, patriarchy, and human rights were so clearly described in the late 60s.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      13 months ago

I felt something similar about reading some parts of 1984.

Will look it up.

• @treechicken@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

I am now undistracted and back to slowly trudging through Romance of the Three Kingdoms. I’m about 80% of the way through. Everyone’s dead and Kong Ming’s just captured and released some dude like 7 times.

• @pancake@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    23 months ago

Just started The Wheel of Time book 6, Lord of Chaos. Still enjoying this series but do wish Robert Jordan was less wordy sometimes. The prologue alone in this book was 50 pages.