Finished Starsight by Brandon Sanderson. Second book in Cytoverse series. Loved the way the series progressed, though didn’t liked the post-ending much. Going to start the novella soon.

Started Three Days to Never by Tim Powers. It’s a standalone sci-fi. Don’t remember who recommended Tim Powers or when, but he was mentioned in my list, so got couple of his books. I have just started the book, something is happening, but I am not sure what, so no idea what to think about it yet. Let’s see how it turns out.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening lately?

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Watched the show yet? Or want to read the books first?

• @steal_your_face@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 month ago

Yeah I watched the show first. It started out really great and then got less great towards the end but I still liked it. So decided to check out the book.

• @kat_angstrom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      31 month ago

Nice! I’ll be starting that series at the end of June. Last summer was a Wheel of Time summer (and autumn), this year: Malazan!

• @Warsk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        21 month ago

Yeah I’m enjoying it so far. His style is a lot different than any I’ve read. Very intriguing in my opinion. I’ve read books with better developed characters (although I’ve heard this improves) and better descriptions of things in the world. I’m a sucker for well described landscape and food. But I really like the way he reveals things and how the story flows.

• @erzatz_cadillac@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          1 month ago

Definitely takes some time to get used to his style. The writing quality definitely improves though, Gardens of the Moon is widely considered to be a rough start to the series. His characters also get better but the way he writes them is also a deliberate choice. I believe you can find a short essay he wrote online somewhere explaining why he chose to write them the way he did.

Overall though Malazan is a wild ride. The scope of the story just keeps expanding and it still somehow manages to stick the landing by the end. Never read anything else like it.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      31 month ago

And so it begins! 😀 How are you liking it? I tried reading it a while ago, and got confused, and gave up. Have been meaning to start again but haven’t gotten around to it yet.

• @Warsk@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        31 month ago

I am enjoying it quite a bit. I’m trying not to be anal about understanding or remembering every detail and just kinda vibing.

• @Infynis@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Skyward Flight is fantastic. As are the next two novels in the series. I just finished Defiant a couple weeks ago. Brandon did such a good job concluding the series, I’m so hyped for Stormlight 5’s conclusion. I’m also very excited to see how Janci continues in Skyward Legacy.

I just started Greencloak by Lyndsey Luther, which sounds like it’s going to be a fun high fantasy novel in a unique setting. She’s also the person Lyn in the Stormlight Archive is based on

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Brandon did such a good job concluding the series.

That makes me excited. I wanted to start the novellas right away, but didn’t want to burn out so moved to another book, but now I keep thinking about reading those, so maybe I should have just gone ahead and keep reading the series.

Ah, that’s cool about Lyndsey Luther, will check it out.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I’m working picking up where I left if with the books of the Murderbot Diaries by Margaret Wells. I read the short story Compulsory a couple nights ago, and Rogue Protocol last night. I figure I can get Exit Strategy, Home: Habitat, Range, Niche, Territory, and Network Effect for sure done by this time next week.

Having most of the early works in the series being Novellas or occasionally short stories really makes it fly.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Problem with some short stories and novellas is that not all authors/publishers collect them properly, so it can be a pain to find them all. Hope this isn’t the case for this one.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        1 month ago

The Murderbot series (at this point) doesn’t have any of them locked away in collections. They are all available for sale (at least in digital versions) right next to the others.

• The Mad Ship by Robin Hobb. It’s the second book in her Liveship trilogy. It’s much better than the first one, which was very slow to start.

I aim to read all her books in The Realm of the Elderlings series eventually (current book I’m on is #5). She’s not my most favorite writer, but she’s up there.

• @B0NK3RS@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 month ago

Tiamats Wrath by James S. A. Corey.

Its been a few years since my first time reading so it’s been great going back to it as I’d forgotten most of this one apart from the major points.

Also I’ve struggled to want to read something new recently so also re-read Murderbot Diaries and The Martian.

• @seaQueue@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    41 month ago

Finishing off the last couple of books in Iain Banks’ Culture series. I read them 10+y ago but had largely forgotten the content of most books, I’m up to Surface Detail again and really enjoying the ride.

Also read Ian McDonald’s The Dervish House for the first time recently and highly recommend it, it’s another excellent book.

• Yeah I been re reading hydrogen sonata, good shit. I like matter best tho I think. If you’ve not read them yet you might also like the algebraist and transition.

Yeah I read those Ian McDonald books way back and they’re about ready for a re-read, enjoy!

• I’m just about to hit the climax at the end of Finder by Suzanne Palmer, first in a four-book space opera. It’s been enjoyable so far, so if she sticks the landing, I’ll probably add the next book to my TBR list. Not sure what I’ll end up reading next.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      21 month ago

Nice! Space operas are fun, so do share how you end up liking the whole series.

• I’m re-reading glen cook’s black company series. Read em before, years ago, but happily my memory is shit and they almost fell like new again. Also reading summer of blood by Dan Jones, history of the peasants revolt.

• @turmacar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      31 month ago

I should revisit the Black Company books. I’m vaguely aware that there are several additional books in the series from when I read them a decade+ ago.

• Baggins
    link
    fedilink
    31 month ago

After a reccomendation on here, I’m working my way through the World War series by Harry Turtledove. Currently halfway through Striking The Balance. Excellent series but I must admit to skimming in places in this volume. I feel that it’s been padded out a bit. Will keep on though and finish the series. Excellent author and really does go into alternative history scenarios with detail.

Also, as I have since about 1967, constantly reading The Lord Of The Rings ;-)

• @radiantshackles@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    31 month ago

My book club is going to discuss Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte this week. I finished pretty early, so I’ve been listening to The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch. It’s also standalone sci-fi, though it’s doing the thing I don’t so much like where it oversimplifies some of its key tech. The prologue was fantastic!

• Seconding the excellent prologue in The Gone World. I had a couple of quibbles with the rest of the book, but overall really liked it when I read it. Hope you end up liking it, too!

• @GONADS125@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    21 month ago

I read it for a social-cultural diversity class (it’s not a textbook), but I would highly recommend White Fragility by Diangelo. Very eye-opening, perspective-shifting book.

Also read How to be an Antiracist by Ibram Kendi for a book report, and it was also a great read.

• The Only Good Indians by Stephen Graham Jones.

Been in the mood for weird horror. Just finished The Fisherman by John Langan. It was pretty good.

• @Varyk@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    21 month ago

I started Shadows of the Dark Crystal by JM Lee, I hadn’t realized there was a Dark Crystal extended universe.

Lot of terms to look up, but I’m very much enjoying it so far.

I’m also planning on reading the comics this week.