I’ve always had a bunch of screens when working. Recently, I’ve been using just my laptop without the extra screens and I find I can focus more. Is this a typical thing?

• @infinitevalenceM
    link
    English
    41 year ago

I used to be all in on multi screen until 4k became a real option.

I invested in a 32" 4k monitor in 2016 and it’s been a game changer.

I can look at full screen engineering drawings, I can open specifications documents, occasional code. With snapping I often have my screen split and can quickly move windows or programs around. The best part no bezels so I can make things fractions like 2/3 unlike normal screens where it would span a bezel.

I ended up putting my spare on the ceiling where I can monitor things and test configurations.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

That is quite an interesting setup. I’d go mad with all those distractions. Looks like a kid’s play room in front of you. How do you not stop working and play all day!? I have to stay across the house from my son; otherwise, I lose at least an hour of productivity.

• @infinitevalenceM
        link
        English
        11 year ago

I have installed doors to help with that and having a huge monitor covers a large part of my field of view.

Also meds make a big difference.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
          link
          English
          11 year ago

That’s much better! Nice! Is it good for sound isolation?

• @infinitevalenceM
            link
            English
            11 year ago

It helps for sure. Now I just need to finish the drywall mud, sand, prime, paint, and do the trim.

It’s been a low priority project.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
              link
              English
              11 year ago

The final touches always take longer to get motivated to do. I remodeled a bathroom about 5 months ago and the trim remains. I did the rest, though, haha. I also put down new flooring in my son’s playroom… still missing trim.

• @justizin
    cake
    link
    English
    21 year ago

I have multi-monitor setups in my home office and at work, but I also find much greater focus when just on a laptop. I find some tasks, esp where I’m working with new technologies that I need a bunch of documentation up for, to benefit from the larger screens. It’s an ever evolving balance for me.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

I find it difficult to focus on something new when I have more than one screen up. Unless, I need a fresh reference to something. I’m either going to try with my older 27” monitor or no monitor at all for a while and see how my productivity is changed.

• JickleMithers
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I like 2 screens. It’s not overwhelming but also allows me to do more things at once. I’ve had 4 screens at work at one point and it was way way too much. But after running 2 screens for years, at this point, I can’t go back. I feel like I’m severely limited with just one if I need to do work things.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

I’m finding it more and more difficult to keep focus when I have more going on. My thinking is to keep distractions out of the way. However, it isn’t easy when reading docs on a single screen while trying to work.

• @lazyguruMA
    link
    English
    11 year ago

I’ve used a single screen for several years now. I used to keep messaging apps, etc… on my laptop screen while I worked on an external monitor, but they just tended to distract me. Now I just use the single monitor and have nothing on the laptop screen (it’s only open so I have access to the fingerprint reader)

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
      link
      English
      11 year ago

I find that too large of a monitor is distracting too. I’m thinking about doing what you’re doing but pulling out my old smaller monitor.

• @lazyguruMA
        link
        English
        21 year ago

Yeah, the one I have isn’t monstrous. I think it’s like a 27 inch?

• @lazyguruMA
            link
            English
            11 year ago

Dell E2722HS is what I have (technically it belongs to work, not me…)

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
              link
              English
              11 year ago

Oh, mine is 32". I have the Gigabyte M32U. My old one is 27 1440p. That’s the one I’m thinking about going to.