This was a very busy week for me, hardly got time to read 100 or so pages. Still reading Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. Book 3 of The Dresden Files.

What about all of you, what have you been reading?

• @nieceandtows@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    810 months ago

I’m reading Kambaramayanam, a 12th century Tamil epic. It’s written in my mother tongue, Tamil, but the language has changed so much over centuries that I am using a guide to understand the old Tamil words and phrases and the nuances behind the verses. I’m really enjoying it so far.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      310 months ago

Two Tamil books in one week!

Languages change over time, and any language that has survived for so long would have gone with many evolution.

• @nieceandtows@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Yeah reading the book, I can see how the words from then have evolved to words from now, and it’s very rewarding when I’m able to understand a verse without any help from the guide.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

Yeah, it must be. I sometimes have trouble understanding words of current teenagers, so understanding something from 12th century must definitely be rewarding.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

I don’t know much about “The Tibetan Book of the Dead”, is it too difficult, that it needs a beginner’s edition? Or is it just a translation, named like that?

The Fifth Season is pretty good. How are you enjoying it?

• @dotslashme@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

It’s more of a tibetan book of the dead for dummies kind of thing. It summarizes the teaching of the tibetan book of the dead.

I actually have a bit of hard time with the fifth season. I find the writing style a bit hard to follow and I have some difficulty relating to anything.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          110 months ago

It’s more of a tibetan book of the dead for dummies kind of thing. It summarizes the teaching of the tibetan book of the dead.

Ah okay. Thanks for the info.

I actually have a bit of hard time with the fifth season. I find the writing style a bit hard to follow and I have some difficulty relating to anything.

I agree. The series is quite dry, and writing style is a bit hard to follow. Overall, it’s still a good book. Though, I am not sure I would recommend finishing it if you aren’t liking it much.

• magic_lobster_party
    link
    fedilink
    710 months ago

Have heard many good things about the Discworld series for the longest time, but never brought myself to read it. Decided to change that with The Colour of Magic. Loving it so far!

• xuxebiko
      link
      fedilink
      710 months ago

:) I started my Discworld journey in the middle with The Truth and since then have zigzagged my way through the entire series, and have never regretted a second of it. The Discworld is a gold mine of history, beliefs, dark humour, and profound thoughts. I’m glad you’ve found your way to it.

GNU PTerry

• @roddyPT@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    610 months ago

Finished “Sapiens” by Yuval Noah Harari and didn’t like it at all. Next on the docket is “The Republic of Thieves” by Scott Lynch, really digging the Gentleman Bastard Series.

• magic_lobster_party
      link
      fedilink
      510 months ago

Glad to see I’m not the only one who didn’t like Sapiens. I think it should’ve ended after the first few chapters. I’m terrified to know there’s a sequel where he theorizes about the future.

• @roddyPT@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        610 months ago

I think it should’ve ended after the first few chapters

Had the same feeling. At the end, I felt like the author tried to prove a thesis by ignoring any historical happenings that didn’t corroborate and stretching the veracity of those that did.

I’m terrified to know there’s a sequel where he theorizes about the future.

I hope that he’s better at assessing the future than the past.

• magic_lobster_party
          link
          fedilink
          310 months ago

It became evident in the later parts of the book that it was more about Harari’s pet theories rather than actual science.

• @Sera@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      110 months ago

feels funny to find out or remember that these popular monsters were created by someone in an original story. How do you like it?

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

I was surprised to find out who Frankenstein actually is, when I read the book. How are you enjoying the book?

• DigitalTraveler42
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Mistborn 5, I finished Mistborn 3 long ago but couldn’t get into the changes Sanderson made in book 4 at the time when it came out, but now I’m really enjoying the adventures of Wax & Wayne, also now I’m really paying attention to the Cosmere related details, but what I’m really waiting for is the next Stormlight Archive novel.

• @flossdaily@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

Loved mistborn, but couldn’t get into the Wax & Wayne stuff. I bought the latest book, but I just can’t get excited about it.

• DigitalTraveler42
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

See that was my problem when I first picked up #4 almost a decade ago, but now I’m completely into the books rn, there’s some really interesting intrigue going on in the series, and the way the powers are evolving in a more modernized society is pretty cool, although Sazed admits in the fifth book that humanity hasn’t quite progressed as far as he’d hoped they would.

Also Wayne is a fantastic character, he’s not the main character, but the way Sanderson writes him is really fun and interesting.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      310 months ago

*Mistborn

I haven’t started the second era of Mistborn, was waiting to get all the books first. Now that I have the whole series, I am wondering if I should re-read the original Mistborn series before starting the Wax & Wayne. I remember the story, but I don’t remember all the characters, and smaller details. Would I miss them if I read the next books without refreshing those details?

• DigitalTraveler42
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Lol yeah Mistborn, thx

Yeah the series constantly references the main characters from the original trilogy.

I read the original trilogy probably more than a decade ago, so I’ve had to go to Sanders’s book wiki and remind myself of some of the details of some of the characters, I also had to do it to get a better grasp on which characters are “Cosmere centric characters” which are the characters that are in both Mistborn and Stormlight Archive, and will probably eventually be in the prequel series Sanderson is writing, which is a pain in the butt since those specific characters have many names.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I should just re-read the original trilogy first. The books aren’t that big so shouldn’t take to too long.

• GreyShuck
    link
    fedilink
    610 months ago
    • Finnegans Wake - my ‘big read’ which I am doing over the year along with a group over on reddit: one of the only things that still has me dipping into reddit now. Fascinatingly incomprehensible.
    • Tchaikovsky’s Children of Time - some good, thoughtful worldbuilding and a solid story.
    • Robert Brightwell’s Flashman’s Waterloo - one of his series of Flashman prequels featuring the uncle of George MacDonald Fraser’s protagonist. Very well researched and entertaining
    • A collection of Neil Munro’s Para Handy tales - gentle humour and a glimpse of a very different world - albeit rather stereotypical and patronising in some ways.

However, I don’t have a great deal of time to read at the moment, and with several on the go at once, I am taking a good while to get through them.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      310 months ago

I have James Joyce’s Ulysses in my to-read pile for over a decade, but it looks so daunting, so never started it.

Nice collection of books that you are reading. Have fun!

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

Ah, a book by Chinese author, don’t recall if I have read any (not counting Wuxia web-novels), how is it? Remarkably Bright Creatures also looks interesting. Adding both to my wish list.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          110 months ago

I would love to hear your review after you have finished the whole series.

• @Zardoz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    510 months ago

Been in an ‘old gods’ mood, so I’m currently re-reading The Child Thief, by Brom. Probably gonna go on to some Neil Gaiman stuff after that. Likely Good Omens

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I was recently in the mood for some crime books, but now getting in the mood for more lovecraftian stuff, though haven’t looked up anything in that genre yet.

• @giraffebiscuit@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    510 months ago

How to Sell a Haunted House by Grady Hendrix.

Not a whole lot of spooky stuff happening so far, but I’m pretty happy to be an only child.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Do share how you like the book. And should I, as not an only child, should read it? 😀

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Finished Project Hail Mary? How did you like it?

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I just finished, A series of unfortunate events #2 - The Reptile Room

I am also re-reading Discworld in order and have read Men At Arms, next its Soul Music

Currently I am reading, John Scalzi - Old Man’s War, and so far its a good!

• xuxebiko
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

I end up zigagging in the Discworld. One day, I’ll have a go at reading it in order.

GNU PTerry.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

I have read Discworld both by series (Wizards, Witches, The Watch, …) and in order, the good thing with reading in order is that you get a break from the different characters and you notice the cameos easier.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I have been following John Scalzi on Twitter (and now mastadon) for many years, but I still haven’t read anything from him. I think it’s about time I do something about it.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I was going to start on Ian M Banks’ Culture series, but I read a few reviews that said his writing style is a bit repetitive, and then I found John Scalzi, my first impression of Old Man’s War reminds me a bit of Pratchett and Douglas Adams, and I hope it continues in that fashion.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

That’s a very high praise. Going to get it as soon as I can now.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            210 months ago

I finished Old Mans War it is still good!, Scalzi does a good job with the world building, and just FYI it’s a bit gory from time to time.

Minor spoiler about the setting

I like the multiverse approach to interstellar travel it allows for endless possibilities.

Having watched Rick and Morty helps with understanding multiverse idea (Currently its a less crazy version).

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              210 months ago

I checked with my local shop, they didn’t had Old Mans War, going to order it online. Thanks for the info!

• @SpezCanLigmaBalls@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        110 months ago

I love it. Have 2 1/2 hours out of 16 of the audio book and it’s so good. I’m a bit of a nerd myself so it scratches that itch but also is a great book in general

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

Books are books, listening, reading, doesn’t matter.

How are you liking the book? It’s next on my list to read.

• xuxebiko
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

“The sweet salt of Tamil” by Tho Paramasivan translated from the original Tamil by V. Ramnarayan.

Tamil is the world’s oldest surviving language and is spoken by about 90 million people. The author writes so well, you feel like you’re chatting with an old friend. The OG version of the book in Tamil, titled Ariyappadatha Tamizhagam (the hidden Tamil country), is a good read too, but a friend gifted me the English version, so this week I’m enjoying the English version of a beloved book.

• @forvirreth@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    410 months ago

Jumped back into Mage Errant series by John Bierce. Currently on book 5 out of 7. Light reads, very fun and engaging magic systems! Top tier progression-fantasy. The perfect “popcorn fantasy” where the plot just goes very fast and you turn pages like a mad person

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      110 months ago

The name “Mage Errant” seems familiar, not sure if heard of this before or confusing it with some other series. Will look it up!