Compounds produced by heating some fruit-flavoured vape liquids have implications for lung and cardiovascular disease and cancer

Archived version: https://archive.ph/1PiTb

• @ryannathans@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    182 months ago

Vape research is almost always terrible quality. Practically every study uses temperatures completely intolerable and unrealistic, they don’t reflect ordinary use. That’s not to say vaping is healthier than not vaping, but it obvious to see it’s far safer than smoking

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
      link
      62 months ago

Yeah, this study was basically just guessing how various chemicals break down under heat. The fact that they reference the EVALI bullshit tells me the study can be safely ignored.

• Kalkaline
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I suppose from a harm reduction standpoint the big question is: has vaping dropped chronic disease that has been traditionally linked to tobacco products or is it equally or more dangerous than traditional tobacco products? If it’s reducing mortality and disease, then that’s a good thing overall even it still poses some risk to long term health. Obviously you don’t want to use traditional tobacco products or vape products if you want a healthy cardiovascular system.

• @ryannathans@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Far safer, probably even with garbage quality import vapes. You can see when someone at your gym swaps from smoking to vaping, their performance skyrockets. Clear as day their lungs are working better. Shouldn’t be a huge surprise given there is no tar when vaping

• @shalafi@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          32 months ago

Far safer, agreed. After 20-years of smoking, I quit coughing within 3-weeks.

OTOH, I just quit vaping (10-years) and started the nicotine pouches. Game. Changed. I had no idea how bad vaping was for me. (That was bad for me personally. YMMV depending on several factors. I basically vaped like it was air.)

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        12 months ago

It’s absolutely not as dangerous as smoking.

Also, nicotine alone has heart positive effects.

• @0x01@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    62 months ago

I’m always wary of studies about products, but at least in this case the funding is governmental instead of private

D.W. acknowledges the Synthesis and Solid State Pharmaceutical Centre (SSPC) and Science foundation Ireland for funding support, Grant Number 12/RC/2275_P2

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
      link
      52 months ago

This really isn’t a product study. They’re just guessing how chemicals will break down under heat.

• NewLeaf [he/him]
        link
        fedilink
        English
        -52 months ago

Sucking foreign materials into your lungs is bad? You think someone would have said something by now.

Jesus fuck! I see why people fucking hate Lemmy. Fucking nerds

• @maculata@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    -132 months ago

Vapers and for that matter all tobacco users in this day and age are typically really poorly thought-out scum.