Continuing Three Days to Never by Tim Powers, I was around first quarter mark before, but have crossed the half mark now. The books has gotten really interesting, will probably finish this week, if nothing comes up.

What about all of you? What have you been reading or listening lately?

A reminder about our Book Bingo. Take look, if you haven’t already.

• @ShunkW@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    925 days ago

I’m reading Snowcrash again. Definitely one of my favorite sci Fi books of all time. It’s a bit heavy to get through, but I’m taking my time instead of rushing through it like I’ve done in the past. Great read.

• @pancake@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    725 days ago

I finished Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence (The Red Queen’s War). Not sure what it is but this one didn’t click with me as well as other Mark Lawrence books I’ve read. I will continue the series though.

I just started A Fever in the Heartland by Timothy Egan. It’s about the KKK in the 1920s. So far it’s both interesting and infuriating. I think I will learn a lot from this book.

• @JaymesRS@literature.cafeM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    625 days ago

I’m reading Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn. It’s an epistolary novel where the author must continually use fewer and fewer letters of the alphabet due to actions within the story. It’s been pretty good so far. It is my experimental square.

• Just finished Dämmerung (Twilight) by German police thriller author Marc Raabe. It’s the second instalment in his Art Mayer series about the eponymous detective for the German federal police. It just ticks all the right boxes for me and I can’t put the books down. Now I’ll have to wait at least a year for the next one.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      119 days ago

TIL what echopraxia is.

How are you liking the books? Look interesting.

• @Varyk@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        19 days ago

Very opaque prose and narration, especially blindsight, but once you get used to what watts is doing, the story itself is extremely compelling.

It is hard science fiction, about as hard as granite, but it’s still fun If you can survive all the perspective-driven jargon.

The story itself and the characters are comprehensively created; there’s a lot of positives to both books, although I preferred blindsight.

They’re independent, sharing a world of sorts and related but with a completely different set of characters and do not at all need to be read in order or as an original and its sequel.

I recommend diving into blindsight.

• @jwelch55@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    423 days ago

Vinland Saga (almost done with volume 2 leather bound collection), and I keep putting off starting Last Argument of Kings (book 3 in the first law series) for no real reason.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      219 days ago

Last Argument of Kings is nice, and it also brings the trilogy to an end, so that’s always a good thing. 😀

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      119 days ago

I have heard a lot him, but haven’t gotten around to reading any of his work. What would you recommend the best starting point should be?

• @SaintWacko@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        219 days ago

The first book of his I read was Seveneves, and I absolutely loved it. It’s very long, and a bit slow at parts, but it’s fascinating. I recommend it to everyone

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          119 days ago

Thanks, will check it out!

• @Elextra@literature.cafe
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    24 days ago

If I have time to sit up and read, I have been reading The Covenant of Water by Abraham Verghese. Historical fiction about a woman in India. Otherwise, I just got my Kobo Libra Colour and have been reading The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett as I go to sleep. Fantasy.

For my commutes to work, I have been listening to Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. I have been reading heavy material from depressing articles to more serious books and needed a break from all of that. Its about a blogger whose cognition is so vastly different from anyone elses and its very humorous how her brain works.

• I was computerless for the better part of a week, so had lots of time to read! Currently 75% of the way through Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan.

Finished The Last Gifts of the Universe by Rory August. Enjoyed this more than I’d expected: the first half led me to believe it was going to be breezy fluff the whole way through, but it actually turns fairly poignant in the second half, exploring the losses experienced by different characters. It’s a little hamfisted in places (evil corporation is evil!), and a little YA in tone, but still very worth a read, imo. (Counts for Among the Stars HM, Minority Author, LGBTQIA+ Lead, Family Drama, Debut Work.)

Read The Butcher of the Forest by Premee Mohamed, which scratched an itch I had for dark fantasy. Really enjoyed it; reminded me a little of both Annihilation and Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. My only real gripe is the last couple of pages feeling almost like sequel-bait, rather than letting the ending settle. This does have some horror elements, so do please check content warnings if it sounds good. (Counts for New Release, Minority Author, Mashup, It’s About Time, (alt) A Change in Perspective.)

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      219 days ago

Crazy Rich Asians sounds interesting, how are you liking it so far?

The Butcher of the Forest is a dark fantasy because of horror theme? Or because author is very sadistic with his characters? I don’t mind horror, but not in a mood for the latter right now.

• I’m gonna post thoughts on Crazy Rich Asians in the new thread, but I enjoyed it well enough.

Re: The Butcher of the Forest: I wouldn’t say the author’s sadistic with their characters, no. From my (potentially desensitized) perspective, I’d say the horror is actually pretty mild, to be honest. The MC goes through a reasonable amount of trauma as she deals with the eldritch creatures (fae?) she encounters; my content warning… er… warning was mainly to do with a part of her past that she briefly recounts toward the end. It’s only about 100 pages, so not a big investment if you try it and find it not to your taste.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          218 days ago

Cool, thanks for the info. Will check it out.

• @ted_pikul@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    323 days ago

I am listening to the audio book versions of The Murderbot Diaries by Martha Wells narrated by Kevin R. Free, and holy moly. They are so good. I listened to the first third one twice before moving on. I highly recommend.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      119 days ago

Murderbot Diaries are our most recommended books these past few weeks, maybe I should mention such books in the post…

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      219 days ago

Checked the synopsis before checking the genre, and was like, “this seems like a perfect setup for a rom-com”. 😀

How are you liking the book? And the series overall?

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          219 days ago

Yeah, I am not a big fan of genre, but it’s sometimes fun to read something completely different. And I do occasionally enjoy the rom-com movies, so having some of these around can be nice.

• Absolutely! I’m the opposite where I like reading books that have a guaranteed happy ending and the main characters are better off in the end. It makes getting through the heavy emotional parts much easier. The smut is also nice too lol.

The movies can be good, but so many of them are just badddd.