• TonyOstrich
    link
    fedilink
    English
    41 day ago

Currently typing this on a Fairphone 5 that I imported from Europe. I would personally say no in terms of it being an answer to the above poster. At least as of now. I’m not saying I dislike the phone. I’m fairly happy with it, with the only real complaint being battery life.

Although it is easy to repair, as far as I am aware none of the phones really share any parts or have an upgrade path which is what I would really like to see. Similar to the Framework laptops (which I also own and just upgraded). I think the SoC in this phone will last me for quite some time, but if the Fairphone 6 ends up having a much more energy efficient screen, I would love if I could install it on my current phone, but that is highly unlikely as far as I can tell.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      31 day ago

Seems like you’ve experienced all the reasons I’ve never considered getting one despite thinking it’s a really cool product lol

I get a new phone every couple of years and aside from the battery, I seriously doubt I’d ever upgrade a module in the fairphone. I would just choose the best parts when I bought it initially and use it as-is until it was toast.

Laptops, on the other hand…if I ever need to buy one, it’ll be a Framework.

• @sugar_in_your_tea@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        115 hours ago

I honestly only buy a new phone when my current one breaks or runs out of software support. I bought my current phone (Google Pixel 8) because my old (Moto G Power) ran out of security updates, and this one has 7 years of support.

If I could have switched to a FOSS OS for longer support, I’d still be using my old phone. If I could replace parts to something that gets software updates, I would have. But no, it’s ewaste because it’s no longer getting support.

If someone makes a forever phone, I’ll buy it.

• TonyOstrich
        link
        fedilink
        English
        224 hours ago

Makes sense to me. One of the deciding factors for me was the ease of bootloader unlocking. After getting fucked by Asus on my Zenfone 8 Flip when they started with their heel turn, the FP5 seemed like one of the better options for a company that would “always” have the unlock option.

Currently I am running it rooted with the original fully updated ROM, but I plan on installing Lineage OS on it in the future. Since I hadn’t ever installed a custom ROM and because I didn’t have a backup phone anymore, I bought a cheap OnePlus phone to practice installing Lineage on. Although the OnePlus was relatively easy to unlock, the FP5 was even easier.