I finished Fool Moon by Jim Butcher, and started The Last White Man by Mohsin Hamid. It’s a thin book, and I am almost at the end.

The book is interesting, though I didn’t like the writing style much, but I guess it suits the story, the way it’s told.

What about you? What have you been reading?

Edit: So, I made this post 2 days ago, but turned out there was some issue between lemmy.world and discuss.online so my posts and comments weren’t showing up here. It seems the issue is resolved now. So, that’s why the date is 2 days old, and thread is posted late.

• @RozhkiNozhki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    211 months ago

I learned about the short stories after I started reading the book. I ended up getting an edition of an ebook that had short stories included but they are tucked away at the end of the book. Eventually I’ll get to them:)

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      111 months ago

Ah okay. Do share how you like the whole series.

• @RozhkiNozhki@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

It took me a long time to regain my reading abilities lost over the last few years but I finally finished the book and the short stories, and enjoyed all of them very much.

At first the book reads like a disjointed collection of (not so short) stories as the main character abruptly ends one chapter of his life and moves onto another but it all comes around at the end.

Once I got used to this format I was so engaged I actually missed the end of the book and leapt into short stories, all while trying to figure out how these new unexplained characters fit into the main storyline… took me a bit to look at the table of contents haha.

Overall the world created by the author is very rich in detail and spans years and generations. I found the language a little too complex and overwhelming at times but I’m not a native speaker. Still, the book flows smoothly and the dialogues are very enjoyable, and I definitely recommend looking into it.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          15 months ago

Ah, I had forgotten about it.

This sounds pretty interesting, going to add it to my wishlist.

Thanks for the review! (and remembering to post it. 😀 )

Now that you are back into reading, would love to see what you are reading next in our weekly threads.