This was a very busy week for me, hardly got time to read 100 or so pages. Still reading Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. Book 3 of The Dresden Files.

What about all of you, what have you been reading?

• DigitalTraveler42
    link
    fedilink
    English
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Mistborn 5, I finished Mistborn 3 long ago but couldn’t get into the changes Sanderson made in book 4 at the time when it came out, but now I’m really enjoying the adventures of Wax & Wayne, also now I’m really paying attention to the Cosmere related details, but what I’m really waiting for is the next Stormlight Archive novel.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      310 months ago

*Mistborn

I haven’t started the second era of Mistborn, was waiting to get all the books first. Now that I have the whole series, I am wondering if I should re-read the original Mistborn series before starting the Wax & Wayne. I remember the story, but I don’t remember all the characters, and smaller details. Would I miss them if I read the next books without refreshing those details?

• DigitalTraveler42
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Lol yeah Mistborn, thx

Yeah the series constantly references the main characters from the original trilogy.

I read the original trilogy probably more than a decade ago, so I’ve had to go to Sanders’s book wiki and remind myself of some of the details of some of the characters, I also had to do it to get a better grasp on which characters are “Cosmere centric characters” which are the characters that are in both Mistborn and Stormlight Archive, and will probably eventually be in the prequel series Sanderson is writing, which is a pain in the butt since those specific characters have many names.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

Thanks for the feedback. Guess I should just re-read the original trilogy first. The books aren’t that big so shouldn’t take to too long.

• @flossdaily@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

Loved mistborn, but couldn’t get into the Wax & Wayne stuff. I bought the latest book, but I just can’t get excited about it.

• DigitalTraveler42
        link
        fedilink
        English
        210 months ago

See that was my problem when I first picked up #4 almost a decade ago, but now I’m completely into the books rn, there’s some really interesting intrigue going on in the series, and the way the powers are evolving in a more modernized society is pretty cool, although Sazed admits in the fifth book that humanity hasn’t quite progressed as far as he’d hoped they would.

Also Wayne is a fantastic character, he’s not the main character, but the way Sanderson writes him is really fun and interesting.