This was a very busy week for me, hardly got time to read 100 or so pages. Still reading Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. Book 3 of The Dresden Files.

What about all of you, what have you been reading?

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I just finished, A series of unfortunate events #2 - The Reptile Room

I am also re-reading Discworld in order and have read Men At Arms, next its Soul Music

Currently I am reading, John Scalzi - Old Man’s War, and so far its a good!

• xuxebiko
      link
      fedilink
      410 months ago

I end up zigagging in the Discworld. One day, I’ll have a go at reading it in order.

GNU PTerry.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

I have read Discworld both by series (Wizards, Witches, The Watch, …) and in order, the good thing with reading in order is that you get a break from the different characters and you notice the cameos easier.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      210 months ago

I have been following John Scalzi on Twitter (and now mastadon) for many years, but I still haven’t read anything from him. I think it’s about time I do something about it.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I was going to start on Ian M Banks’ Culture series, but I read a few reviews that said his writing style is a bit repetitive, and then I found John Scalzi, my first impression of Old Man’s War reminds me a bit of Pratchett and Douglas Adams, and I hope it continues in that fashion.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          210 months ago

That’s a very high praise. Going to get it as soon as I can now.

• @BeigeAgenda@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            210 months ago

I finished Old Mans War it is still good!, Scalzi does a good job with the world building, and just FYI it’s a bit gory from time to time.

Minor spoiler about the setting

I like the multiverse approach to interstellar travel it allows for endless possibilities.

Having watched Rick and Morty helps with understanding multiverse idea (Currently its a less crazy version).

• @dresdenOPM
              link
              English
              210 months ago

I checked with my local shop, they didn’t had Old Mans War, going to order it online. Thanks for the info!