“Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?”

After six consecutive days of drone attacks on the Moscow region this week, one would think the shock of sudden late-night explosions might compel some Russians to consider what Ukrainian civilians have endured during 550 days of relentless Russian attacks.

Instead, some residents near the Russian capital have taken to social media to vent about the inconvenience of being woken up in the middle of the night, question why the “international community” isn’t coming to their rescue, and blame Ukrainian “terrorists” for targeting civilian areas. (Never mind that Moscow has repeatedly attacked residential areas in Ukraine with Iranian-made Shahed drones.)

No injuries have been reported in the recent string of attacks, and Russian officials claim to have shot down most of the drones that they say caused only “minor damage” to a building in Moscow City and several broken windows elsewhere. Kyiv has not confirmed or denied involvement in the drone strikes.

Russian media widely covered the attacks, airing interviews with residents who showed off their broken windows.

“It was scary to go up to the window,” said one man recounting his shock to wake up and find his window shattered. “This is the first time anything like this has happened to me.”

Separately, he told Deutsche Welle, “At first, there was panic. I thought the building had been hit by a shell.”

“It’s very scary. What if it hits the house next time?” another resident told DW, noting that she has a young child in the home. “Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?” she asked, unironically.

archive link: https://archive.is/xFkDe

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

If you are too afraid and unwilling to fight back against the architects of your current torment, are you not already imprisoned?

That’s a lofty sophism. There’s a huge difference between some philosophical imprisonment and a real one.

• uphillbothwaysOP
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

You are right. That’s fair.

You know, as an American, I have difficulty trying to figure out how to react and resist against my country’s imperialistic endeavors, among other things. Many other things. I think our police probably share more qualities with yours than they have differences, as one for instance.

But, I think that, again, when family and friends, neighbors and loved ones are being conscripted in a draft and killed in a war that isn’t even a matter of self-defense, but that is also inviting retaliation closer to home that philosophy becomes much less lofty. Much more practical.

When you are being forced into seriously unjust actions that invite current harm AND future harm, that calculus seems much easier to figure out. When there is already harm being directed at you by your government, the path of less harm might just be taking direct action to solve that source of all the attendant problems.

I sincerely hope the Russian people can find a way to limit the harms their government is targeting them with. And, that they find a way to prosper and contribute and enjoy both the fruits of their labor AND their renewed place in a world that can similarly find itself on a better track. Because, honestly, humanity as whole is a fucking mess and we all need each other right now and going forward.

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Secret of passivity of an average Russian is in eternal “maybe” in our heads: maybe government won’t notice me, maybe I will be spared, maybe a situation will fix itself somehow. We even have special term for it: “авось”.
        It’s all learned helplessness.

As for me personally - I have decided that if they will try to conscript me then I will try to flee or go to prison rather than actively participate in that war.

• uphillbothwaysOP
          link
          fedilink
          1010 months ago

I’m sorry to hear it’s like that, and sad to report it’s getting that way here, more and more; though we don’t have a word for it, yet.

You sound like a good person. Glad to have chatted. Best luck.

• ElZoido
          link
          fedilink
          210 months ago

So it looks like you think “maybe” it is not going to affect you, and you are only willing to do anything once it does. I think that is in general how everyone there thinks. “Maybe it won’t affect me” but by the time it does it is already too late to react. If you want to flee, do it now. Don’t wait for the “maybe”. Because if you do, it will be too late to react.

• @PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      110 months ago

Over 100,000 dead Russian soldiers paid with their lives. What did that accomplish?

Amazing how the wagnerites drove 3/4 the way to Moscow and then gave up. They can’t even coup, when they hold all the cards.

Plus, most Russians are fucking FOR the war.

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Over 100,000 dead Russian soldiers paid with their lives. What did that accomplish?

I don’t know. Why are you asking me?

Plus, most Russians are fucking FOR the war.

I don’t know where you take that one from. It’s not like we can have independent polls here in Russia and people a certainly don’t feel safe to answer honestly.
        I, of course, only have anecdotes, but very few people I know support war.