“Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?”

After six consecutive days of drone attacks on the Moscow region this week, one would think the shock of sudden late-night explosions might compel some Russians to consider what Ukrainian civilians have endured during 550 days of relentless Russian attacks.

Instead, some residents near the Russian capital have taken to social media to vent about the inconvenience of being woken up in the middle of the night, question why the “international community” isn’t coming to their rescue, and blame Ukrainian “terrorists” for targeting civilian areas. (Never mind that Moscow has repeatedly attacked residential areas in Ukraine with Iranian-made Shahed drones.)

No injuries have been reported in the recent string of attacks, and Russian officials claim to have shot down most of the drones that they say caused only “minor damage” to a building in Moscow City and several broken windows elsewhere. Kyiv has not confirmed or denied involvement in the drone strikes.

Russian media widely covered the attacks, airing interviews with residents who showed off their broken windows.

“It was scary to go up to the window,” said one man recounting his shock to wake up and find his window shattered. “This is the first time anything like this has happened to me.”

Separately, he told Deutsche Welle, “At first, there was panic. I thought the building had been hit by a shell.”

“It’s very scary. What if it hits the house next time?” another resident told DW, noting that she has a young child in the home. “Who would have declared such a war on us in Moscow?” she asked, unironically.

archive link: https://archive.is/xFkDe

• @jballs@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    25110 months ago

In a video that went viral, a well-known blogger complained about how rude it is for drones to be launched “when people are sleeping.”

“Ukraine is going crazy. Drones at three in the morning. Have you lost your mind?”

This made me laugh way harder than it should. Like, “I don’t mind the war but can we keep it from 9:00-5:00? Oh and I was thinking of stepping out early on Friday so maybe call it a half day?”

• @Chickenstalker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    20110 months ago

A Soviet Russia joke: A Russian man was accosted by KGB goons and had his expensive watch stolen by them. After the KGB had left, the unfortunate man then cried out loudly, “The Swiss stole my Russian watch!”. A bystander heard this and retorted, “You meant the Russians stole your Swiss watch”. The man then replied, “Yes, but you said it!”

The Muscovites are not stupid. They are merely beaten down so hard and so long that they know to feign ignorance.

• @Prandom_returns@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

“Putin is not stupid, he’s not going to invade”
      “Prigozhin is not stupid, he got a good deal”

If russians living in the EU can support russia, you bet your ass muskovians living in moscow can be oblivious.

• theodewere
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

we know they are all cowards and they have a great historical excuse that makes funny jokes… their army rapes babies to death… they are going to learn a lesson in their quiet little apartments about shrugging their shoulders…

• @PocketRocket@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          310 months ago

Good point.

Yeah I’m not a huge fan of lumping everyone in the same bucket just because they all happened to have been born within the same lines on a map.

I’m sure there are some goose stepping citizens, some who hate the leadership with a passion and those who just want to get on with their lives and pay their bills.

Sadly armed resistance isn’t an easy thing to effectively get off the ground, especially in an authoritarian nation today. So the fact that there isn’t some wildly ambitious revolution ongoing, isn’t an indication that every resident is in agreement with the decisions their self appointed leaders are making.

• @jarfil@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            310 months ago

At the memorial for Prigozhin, some lady said she was devastated, because he was one who could bring change to Russia.

They showed her face on TV… wonder if she’s doing well.

• theodewere
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

she has to worry for her safety because everyone around her is a coward… /shrug

• theodewere
          link
          fedilink
          010 months ago

every Russian wakes up in a puddle of piss… a Russian can’t fall asleep at night unless he’s been given a good beating…

• @CoderKat@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      310 months ago

I dunno, if they were just afraid of speaking out, why even talk to the media? Though I can certainly imagine that many of the smarter people knew better than to talk, leaving only those with chronic foot-in-mouth syndrome to get interviewed.

• @Sterile_Technique@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    15810 months ago

“The Nazis Russians entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else and nobody was going to bomb them.”

• Obinice
        link
        fedilink
        1010 months ago

Besides being a quote as the other chap pointed out, to enter something in this manner doesn’t suggest they didn’t also start it, it’s quite acceptable grammatically.

Pip pip tally ho! *rides away into the sunset on Churchill’s back"

• Xero
      link
      fedilink
      English
      610 months ago

you spelled “ruZZians” wrong

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        2510 months ago

There are some residents of Moscow that are definitely responsible for this war.

There are no residents of Ukraine that are responsible for this war.

• @gaael@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        410 months ago

I completely agree with you and find it sad you got downvoted.

These people live in a harsh dictatorship with nopress freedom. In such a state, they don’t have a say in what happens in many areas of their lives, let alone in the course of a war.

I don’t know if the ukrainian drones are targetting civilians, but if they are nothing makes it ok. We (the Allies) buried civilians under shells in Dresde during WWII and it has always disgusted me. These tactics might be efficient to bring morale down but they should imo never be used.

If Ukrainians generals want payback for what they have been going through in this fucking unjust, brutal and unjustified war, these drones might be better used targeting the rich mansions of Putin’s entourage.

• @morrowind@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

I think the fact that they were so surprised speaks for itself. We all tend to underestimate how well propaganda works, including on ourselves.

• @NuPNuA@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

No, but their leader has lead them into a war which makes them targets in the eyes of the people they’re attacking. If they don’t like it, they need to remove their leader. Not like Russians don’t have form for having revolutions then pulling out of wars.

• @Omniraptor@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Back then we didn’t live in a police state with modern surveillance tech. It’s surprisingly difficult to organize a revolution when the medium of most social communication is readable by the gov without a warrant.

On the other hand I’m still amazed that those (yes I know they weren’t ever a revolution) Jan 6 clowns got as far as they did, considering they the relative capabilities of US and Russian domestic surveillance. Like that sort of thing has to have been organized on Facebook and telegram right?

• Flying Squid
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    11310 months ago

Could it be that the leopards have decided to turn around and eat our faces?

• @geekworking@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    8110 months ago

So propaganda, government control over media, and threats against anyone who questions the government story works to control public reality and opinions.

Thanks Comrade Obvious.

• theodewere
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

they sent their fellow citizens and neighbors into Ukraine to rape and murder babies… they shouldn’t sleep another night in peace, ever again…

• @huginn@feddit.it
      link
      fedilink
      4710 months ago

“they”

Ain’t exactly a representative democracy.

Doesn’t mean Moscow should be spared, just that the majority of the citizens didn’t have any say.

The ones loudly protesting are probably culpable though.

• @Jax@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

Did Russia close all communication to the outside world?

I ask because if the people still have access to the internet then no, your statement doesn’t track.

Either they were aware and said nothing, or were ignorant. Neither is acceptable.

• TGhost [She/Her]
              link
              fedilink
              310 months ago

Dont worry, the same as european,

And I don’t speak about fights to win new legitimate rights…

• @jarfil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          810 months ago

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_websites_blocked_in_Russia

Most Russians only speak Russian, few news outlets outside Russia write in Russian, most of them are blocked, all news outlets inside Russia are either publishing what they’re told to, or closed.

Most people have no way to know anything other than what they’re being told. The ones who said something, got either jailed, sent to the front, or both.

They’re still allowed to say loudly stuff that aligns with the leadership, so the only way they have to “protest” is to say it in a way so overboard that it becomes ridiculous. Like this complaining about drones at night.

• @CaptFeather@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      -810 months ago

Russian leadership needs to be replaced, but the citizens didn’t ask for this. If your country went to war, what is there for you to do?

• theodewere
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

you just tried to equate “my country going to war” with “Russians intentionally raping babies to death”, and i don’t accept your equation…

if Russians had any honor they would feel the same, but they don’t… so i don’t care what happens to them, they deserve it…

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

Most are just cowards that do nothing while it’s happening.

They can sleep in the subway until Putin is dead.

If you’re gonna be a coward, accept who you are and hide in a safe place while those with courage do what you what you were too scared to do.

• @CaptFeather@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              310 months ago

You call them cowards for not doing anything but if push comes to shove I would put money on you doing jack shit too if you were in the same situation as the Russian people.

• theodewere
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

their ability to dodge is so natural, they don’t even realize they do it anymore

• theodewere
            link
            fedilink
            -310 months ago

you really are unable to stop shrugging your shoulders, aren’t you… you must be Russian…

• Th4tGuyII
    link
    fedilink
    5510 months ago

It’s kinda sad how misinformed many Russians are about what their state is up in Ukraine, and act like Ukraine has no right to fight back

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Most of us just afraid. There’re more and more cases of prosecuting people for “discrediting Russian army”, for refusing to be conscripted and so on.
      Fear of going to prison is almost in genes, due to the loong history of being heavily oppressed by own government.

• uphillbothwaysOP
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

Is it better to lose life, freedom and loved ones in the pursuit of an unjust war in Ukraine that will provoke further violence at home? Or, is it better to direct violence at home against the ones who would send you or your loved ones to be killed fighting the Ukrainian people who themselves are just trying to defend their loved ones and their homes?

If you are too afraid and unwilling to fight back against the architects of your current torment, are you not already imprisoned?

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

If you are too afraid and unwilling to fight back against the architects of your current torment, are you not already imprisoned?

That’s a lofty sophism. There’s a huge difference between some philosophical imprisonment and a real one.

• uphillbothwaysOP
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            10 months ago

You are right. That’s fair.

You know, as an American, I have difficulty trying to figure out how to react and resist against my country’s imperialistic endeavors, among other things. Many other things. I think our police probably share more qualities with yours than they have differences, as one for instance.

But, I think that, again, when family and friends, neighbors and loved ones are being conscripted in a draft and killed in a war that isn’t even a matter of self-defense, but that is also inviting retaliation closer to home that philosophy becomes much less lofty. Much more practical.

When you are being forced into seriously unjust actions that invite current harm AND future harm, that calculus seems much easier to figure out. When there is already harm being directed at you by your government, the path of less harm might just be taking direct action to solve that source of all the attendant problems.

I sincerely hope the Russian people can find a way to limit the harms their government is targeting them with. And, that they find a way to prosper and contribute and enjoy both the fruits of their labor AND their renewed place in a world that can similarly find itself on a better track. Because, honestly, humanity as whole is a fucking mess and we all need each other right now and going forward.

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Secret of passivity of an average Russian is in eternal “maybe” in our heads: maybe government won’t notice me, maybe I will be spared, maybe a situation will fix itself somehow. We even have special term for it: “авось”.
              It’s all learned helplessness.

As for me personally - I have decided that if they will try to conscript me then I will try to flee or go to prison rather than actively participate in that war.

• uphillbothwaysOP
                link
                fedilink
                1010 months ago

I’m sorry to hear it’s like that, and sad to report it’s getting that way here, more and more; though we don’t have a word for it, yet.

You sound like a good person. Glad to have chatted. Best luck.

• ElZoido
                link
                fedilink
                210 months ago

So it looks like you think “maybe” it is not going to affect you, and you are only willing to do anything once it does. I think that is in general how everyone there thinks. “Maybe it won’t affect me” but by the time it does it is already too late to react. If you want to flee, do it now. Don’t wait for the “maybe”. Because if you do, it will be too late to react.

• @PersnickityPenguin@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            110 months ago

Over 100,000 dead Russian soldiers paid with their lives. What did that accomplish?

Amazing how the wagnerites drove 3/4 the way to Moscow and then gave up. They can’t even coup, when they hold all the cards.

Plus, most Russians are fucking FOR the war.

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              10 months ago

Over 100,000 dead Russian soldiers paid with their lives. What did that accomplish?

I don’t know. Why are you asking me?

Plus, most Russians are fucking FOR the war.

I don’t know where you take that one from. It’s not like we can have independent polls here in Russia and people a certainly don’t feel safe to answer honestly.
              I, of course, only have anecdotes, but very few people I know support war.

• @Synnr@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      1310 months ago

It’s very sad. They are locked into informational echo chambers that only repeat the words of state media and anyone repeating anything else gets arrested or a ‘visit’. The only ones who know how to bypass this are mostly younger tech savvy Russians with VPNs etc who care enough.

• @whataboutshutup
        link
        1610 months ago

Arrests and visits are not that widespread yet. Problems are atomization of society and lack of trust, that doesn’t help organizing for literally anything too. Someone in higher comment remembered the long and hardly broken by 90s history of opression, but there’s an old anecdote: ‘If Stalin is such a monster, who sniched on others millions of times?’. If you don’t vet a person\company before dropping heavy topics and opinions, they can tell on you just out of spite. On a local, small people level, folks aren’t found out by secret services, they are snitched on. A girl painted a pro-peace picture and teacher called a police, resulting in her father imprisoned and her put into shelter. Some guy overheard a couple talking in a cafe and boyfriend was pressed face-to-floor before they had a chance to leave. Some college students snitched on a classmate just for lulz to FSB and she got a prison sentence out of blue, she was 19. It’s despicable, but these facts aren’t systemic oppression, but rather ugly POSes having a new leverage over others. When Zs are plastered everywhere, you aren’t really sure who’d hear you at all times.

Telegram is very widespread and not blocked (while most VPNs are). Many under 45 follow the situation there, see videos and news. They just don’t know what to do with that, to fully comprehend what’s going on themselves and see their role in it, and totally unlikely to talk about it publicly. It’s going back to close kitchen talks of later USSR. Everyone understands everything, but mantra comes to mind. Not many take a hard stance now, but try to put together a Frankenstein’s creature of conflicting thoughts\bits of information to somehow explain the situation (like the viral beheading done by Wagner), or isolate themselves from it altogether to keep moving. Only to then get very surprised, when this thrown away and long forgotten puzzle suddenly blows up under their bed.

A very weird place to observe.

• @Llewellyn@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

That’s the brave new world: everyone and everything has a digital trace now and therefore is transparent to oppressive government. A world of a dream for a dictator.

• VinceUnderReview
          link
          fedilink
          510 months ago

I mean genuinely it’s the chapter in 1984 where his idiot buddies kid snitched him out to Big Brother. It’s a human personality trait, and one that’s always there.

• @drathvedro@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      -510 months ago

Yes, it is. But you too, are in a bubble, if you think this petty vandalism is “fighting back”

• @lolcatnip@reddthat.com
        link
        fedilink
        510 months ago

It’s not about doing damage. It’s about reminding Russians that the only reason civilians aren’t dying in Moscow is because Ukraine chooses not to stoop to Russia’s level.

• @drathvedro@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          110 months ago

Okay, that sounds reasonable. But if that’s the case, why don’t they blow up something of strategic value? I’m sure there are some military factories around Moscow that they could blow up overnight without causing any civilian harm. That’d honestly be quite badass.

But to me it sounds like they don’t actually have the capacity to do so. No drone has an ability to reach from Kiyv to Moscow, so those attacks are likely done by local partisans who jerry rigged off the shelf drones with diy explosives. Those wont be able to do any serious damage other than making flashy headlines.

• uphillbothwaysOP
            link
            fedilink
            edit-2
            10 months ago

They did. That happened. Just a few weeks ago.

The blast took place at Zagorsk Optical and Mechanical Plant, in the town of Sergiev Posad, TASS reported. The plant is a developer and manufacturer for optical and optoelectronic devices for the Russian military, law enforcement agencies, industry and healthcare.

source link: https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/09/europe/moscow-industrial-plant-blast-intl/index.html
            second source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/09/huge-explosion-firework-factory-sergiev-posad-near-moscow

• @drathvedro@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              210 months ago

It’s not yet clear whether this was of Ukrainian doing or just coincidence. If they can blow one they can certainly blow a few more. If it’s actually them and they keep at it, It’ll definitely change my position on this whole situation I’ll even edit all of my comments to say how wrong I was.

• @yata@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            210 months ago

I am completely stumped at what the hell your point even is. There is no such thing as “petty vandalism” in a war, and flashy headlines can be a powerful tool as well.

• @drathvedro@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              010 months ago

Look, imagine I’m a bad guy and I beat you up. And what you did in revenge is you shat on my doorstep. You’re not fighting back. I’d be happy for you if you did, but you’re just a shitter, not a hero that you think you are.

What good does a headline make? Sure, someone might read this and say “That fucker @drathvedro totally deserved this” and continue on, maybe send you some weapons as a gift. But you know what happens after that - I’m coming to you and I’m beating your ass again.

The point, that I’ve been repeatedly telling around here, is that Ukraine is incapable of fighting back. Not with HIMARS, not with F-16, not with whatever. They simply lack the headcount to do so. If you really care about Ukraine, join in and fight for them. Or fuck off. Otherwise, you’re just standing there like an asshole cheering for the weak one to be beaten, to the point that they actually believe that they stand a chance. They don’t.

• Oofnik
    link
    fedilink
    -7610 months ago

Honestly I hate the way this article is written, like yeah, let’s dunk on some random Russian citizens for complaining when things are worse in Ukraine. As if they have some kind of say in what Putin and his cronies are up to. I’m not against the Ukrainian drone attacks, but we need to stop with this general anti-Russian sentiment.

• @Rusticus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      7810 months ago

we need to stop with this general anti-Russian sentiment.

Let us know when Russia stops committing war crimes and gets the fuck out of Ukraine. Until then, STFU.

• athos77
        link
        fedilink
        3310 months ago

And returns all the people it stole, and all the POWs.

• @AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          1310 months ago

And rebuilds all the stuff it wrecked, and pays reparations for all the people it killed

• Th4tGuyII
      link
      fedilink
      5110 months ago

Whether you like it or not people are going to carry resentment towards the Russians, as it’s their government that is over in Ukraine literally committing war crimes.

It’s the irony of Russians complaining when Ukraine does even an iota of punching back that frustrates people.

• @31337@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

Russians are probably the ones behind the drones. Either anti-war/anti-Putin Russians, or false-flag attacks by the government on its citizens. It’s unlikely the drones flew all the way from Ukraine.

• snooggums
      link
      fedilink
      3110 months ago

By framing it as an attack on Moscow instead of the result of Russia invading Ukraine, they have shown they are complicit. Fuck 'em.

• @SpaceCowboy@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      710 months ago

Yeah everyone in the world has to deal with Putin the poisoner… except the Russian people. We can’t possibly expect the Russian people to deal with that shithead. Nope, it’s Putin is the responsibility of everyone in the world other the the people of Russia!

If Russians don’t like anti-Russian sentiment then they can start doing something about the guy that’s in their Kremlin that’s fucking everything up for everyone else.

• @randon31415@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      010 months ago

America had its turn when it invaded Iraq. Americans started wearing Canadian patches when traveling aboard. Iraq wasn’t as bad as Ukrane. American turned on support for the war after 2 years. Russia has an election coming up. They should use it - even if it is rigged.

• @Omniraptor@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        110 months ago

I hate to be a Russian whataboutist but the American record of antiwar protest isn’t stellar either. Imo the closer comparison is Vietnam, that was the last one where we were forced to draft people. And it did result in significant protests from multiple groups (incomparable to Iraq imo. What exactly did the Iraq protests 2 years in accomplish, again?)

The vietnam protests were actively suppressed by intelligence services and ultimately followed in the 80s by a wave of reactionary public sentiment that set the tone for republican politics even to this day (and we can all see how well that’s going).

• @_wintermute@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      -4710 months ago

Lol, let the xenophobia flow through your down votes. This is what you get for having a normal take. Americans love to hate other populations based on what their corrupt governments do. Ignorance is life here.

• @M0oP0o@mander.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        2510 months ago

We are not all American, and I will not stand for that level of insult.

“Normal take” my ass.

• @_wintermute@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          10 months ago

Just owning up to being a piece of shit lmao

You can be against Russia and the war on Ukraine and still realize that the majority of Russian citizens didn’t ask for this and don’t want it.

It’s the same thing as hating all Americans when they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan (and then overstayed by a decade and a half).

But nuance is a little too much to ask for right? Just need to be on the hate train 24/7.

• @M0oP0o@mander.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            1410 months ago

Can you please understand that my issue is when you and every other American make everything and everyone around you an American. Get out of here with your whataboutizums and assuming you have a say on who I dislike.

• @yata@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        edit-2
        10 months ago

It is ironic that you are the one making ignorant and bigoted generalisations, especially when you categorise everyone here as Americans. Which we definitely aren’t.