• @Tar_alcaran@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Yes you can. Take milk, simmer for an hour. Thats basically it

Edit: step 3 would be NOT canning it. Keep it in the fridge like a normal person.

• @liv@lemmy.nz
      link
      fedilink
      910 months ago

Take milk, simmer for an hour. Thats basically it

I feel like you’re one of the people this article is talking about.

Dromio05 showed me several posts he deemed questionable since Reddit took away his own mod badge. For example, this post shares a link to an article about “rebel canners,” which Dromio05 argues “gives a public platform to people who openly encourage methods and recipes that are known to be unsafe, like canning milk and open kettle canning.” The post is labeled unsafe, but Dromio05 would have removed the link to the article.

• Captain Aggravated
        link
        fedilink
        610 months ago

Now there’s a difference between cooking and canning.

You can safely make sweetened condensed milk in the home kitchen. What you can’t do is safely preserve it.

Safe: I want to make a key lime pie tonight, I’ve got my limes, I’ve got a pie crust, I’ve got my eggs…no sweetened condensed milk. Grocery store is closed too. Okay, but I’ve got milk and sugar, so I’ll just mix some sugar and milk in a saucepan and simmer it down, then I’ll use that to make my pie tonight.

Unsafe: I’m going to make a big ol’ batch of sweetened condensed milk, pour it into mason jars, boil 'em for ten minutes and put them in the cupboard so that it’s ready whenever I want a key lime pie.

There’s LOTS of stuff that’s safe to cook and eat immediately that’s not safe to put in jars on the shelf.

• @liv@lemmy.nz
          link
          fedilink
          410 months ago

Thanks, I think I misunderstood the above, I thought they were saying you could make canned at home.

Never knew what was in key lime pie (it’s not much of a thing here), so that’s cool to know!

• Captain Aggravated
            link
            fedilink
            210 months ago

It’s not all that hard to make; you may have to substitute ordinary limes for key limes as they can be difficult to find in most of the world but you should give it a try.

• @liv@lemmy.nz
              link
              fedilink
              110 months ago

Now there’s a thought. I’ve only had it a couple of times at an American themed restaurant but it was very nice.

• @Tar_alcaran@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        310 months ago

You can make condensed milk at home. You absolutely shouldn’t can it at home. That’s a pretty big difference.