• Otter
    link
    fedilink
    English
    269 months ago

First and foremost, people have the right to slowly kill themselves with cigarettes as long as it isn't harming innocent bystanders.

That's the thing with smoking though, second hand smoke is a big problem, especially for vulnerable people

• @Mchugho@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      09 months ago

Indoors maybe. People really have a warped idea of how much smoke they're inhaling in outdoor scenarios, unless they're literally blowing it in your face from centimetres away it's not doing anything.

• @Gabu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        9 months ago

You may not know it because you're a smoker (smokers' noses are completely and irreparably fucked), but normal people can tell a cigarette was lit in a 10 meter radius, even on a windy day.

• @AeroLemming@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          29 months ago

Hell, I can still smell smoke strongly enough to make me breath lightly because of how bad it smells even if the smoker is gone. That shit lingers.

• @Mchugho@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            19 months ago

We're talking about the outdoors. That shit dissipates rapidly following an inverse square law.

• @Mchugho@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          9 months ago

I'm not a smoker.

There is a difference between smelling and inhaling enough smoke to do any sort of real damage.

The fact you think they're exactly the same thing is exactly the point.

I bet you think you can get high from sitting next to a weed smoker as well.

Let's be honest, people just hate smoking and want to get rid of it.

• @Anamana@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        9 months ago

I'm surprised they can still walk around outside, when there are literally cars everywhere. Those are killing way more people on 'second hand' exposure than tobacco.