Not much from my side. I am still reading Chloe Marr by A. A. Milne. It's an interesting book, even though I am missing every "pop reference" of plays etc. Someone who get those references would probably enjoy it a lot more.

What about all of you? What have you been reading (or listening) lately?

• @vermyndax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    49 months ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've had it on the shelf for most of my life but for some reason, never picked it up. I was intrigued by the notion of "The Last Voyage of the Demeter" was based on a fractional part of a chapter of this book, so I decided to pick it up and read it. I was not expecting it to be as brilliant as it is. I understand a lot of classics are considered brilliant, but this book remains brilliant in how it's written and presented. It's just a joy to read.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      19 months ago

Dracula is very good. What I find interesting is with all the re-imaginings out there, sometimes you don't really know what happened in the original story. For example, I was quite surprised when I read the actual classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Peter Pan etc.

BTW how is The Last Voyage of the Demeter? I haven't watched it yet.

• @vermyndax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        29 months ago

I didn't watch it yet either, but the reviews here say it was a wasted opportunity. I still plan to watch it eventually. But yes, the very old classics really have some interesting tidbits and style. I feel like modern authors could learn a lot by revisiting them.