Not much from my side. I am still reading Chloe Marr by A. A. Milne. It's an interesting book, even though I am missing every "pop reference" of plays etc. Someone who get those references would probably enjoy it a lot more.

What about all of you? What have you been reading (or listening) lately?

• @Sparrow_1029@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    48 months ago

I am on book #16 of the Mechwarrior: Dark Age BattleTech novels. Not high literature or anything, just sci-fi and big robots with lasers! The setting and technology is interesting, and there are several different authors who wrote the series. The changing writing styles and voices switch things up enough to keep me reading.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

just sci-fi and big robots with lasers

That's not just! That's high literature for some of us! 😀

Just looked it up, there are more than 100 tie-in novels. Is there any standalone series in it, that you can read? Or starting from the first one and starting in published order is the way.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          18 months ago

Thanks for the recommendations!

• @Sparrow_1029@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

Love your username—I really wish Jim Butcher would finish the final Dresden books! The Mechwarrior: Dark Age novels can be read without the other ones I think…

A friend has recommended both the Blood of Kerensky and Gray Death Legion trilogies in the BattleTech series—which should be standalone?—and I'm looking forward to reading them as well!

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          18 months ago

Thanks. Jim Butcher seems to be getting back into his groove. His book 2 of Cinder Spires is releasing this year, and plans are for releasing next Dresden files book next year. Though, there are still many books in the series, so it may take 5-6 years at the very least.

Thanks for the recommendations, going to check them out.

• @vermyndax@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    48 months ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've had it on the shelf for most of my life but for some reason, never picked it up. I was intrigued by the notion of "The Last Voyage of the Demeter" was based on a fractional part of a chapter of this book, so I decided to pick it up and read it. I was not expecting it to be as brilliant as it is. I understand a lot of classics are considered brilliant, but this book remains brilliant in how it's written and presented. It's just a joy to read.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

Dracula is very good. What I find interesting is with all the re-imaginings out there, sometimes you don't really know what happened in the original story. For example, I was quite surprised when I read the actual classics like Dracula, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Peter Pan etc.

BTW how is The Last Voyage of the Demeter? I haven't watched it yet.

• @vermyndax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        28 months ago

I didn't watch it yet either, but the reviews here say it was a wasted opportunity. I still plan to watch it eventually. But yes, the very old classics really have some interesting tidbits and style. I feel like modern authors could learn a lot by revisiting them.

• NightLily
    link
    fedilink
    38 months ago

I'm reading the Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh, Arabs a 3000 year history of People, Tribes and Empires by Timothy Mackintosh-Smith and when I'm incredibly bored the 15th edition of the Encyclopaedia Brittanica's Outline of Knowledge.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      28 months ago

How are you liking Pride of Chanur? C.J. Cherryh has been on my wish list for a while, but can't find her books at my local bookshops. Maybe I should just order from Amazon, they have Omnibus version available.

Also how are you liking Arabs a 3000 year history of People, Tribes and Empires? Just looked it up and it looks like an interesting book. Also learned a new word, "Arabist".

• NightLily
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

For the C.J. Cherryh one it's definitely become one of my favourite books which is why I'm re-reading it I really like how it treats the different groups that are met as being incredibly different and alien to each other. The omnibus doesn't have all the books attached to the series there are 2 more Chanur's Homecoming and Chanur's Legacy with Chanur's Homecoming picking up on the cliff-hanger that the Omnibus ends you on which I did not know when I first picked up the omnibus.

I was really interested in the pre-Islamic section of the book and I have to say it was quite enjoyable it's a shame that it can't go too in-depth on the topics presented in that time period I'm assuming both because of lack of source materials but also because it is reviewing such a vast period of time. But I think as an overview of everything it does a really good job at the point that I'm at at giving you nice starting points to dig deep into if you want to and you can find stuff on. Like introducing the Arab vassal kingdoms of Rome and Persia and how they are different from the South Arabian kingdoms of the time but the two groups become inextricably linked because of wars and migration and such.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          28 months ago

Yeah, there are two Omnibus for Chanur, first one The Chanur Saga has book 1-3, and Chanur's Endgame has last two, 4-5. Will probably just order both of them.

That sounds fascinating. For new topics, I like the approach of first reading a general book which covers vast areas of the topic, and then getting book which covers the area you are interested in, in more detail. Adding it to my wish list!

Thanks for the detailed reply!

• InfiniteGlitch
    link
    fedilink
    28 months ago

Been trying to read “Eleanor is completely fine” but university isn’t allowing me to read much.

So far ~60 pages in and really liking it.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

Universities tend to do that. Don't worry, the book isn't going anywhere, just take your time with it and enjoy it.

• @TootSweet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    28 months ago

Paul of Dune – part of the extended Dune series.

And The Myth of Normal: Trauma, Illness, and Healing in a Toxic Culture by Gabor Mate.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

Nice! I have only ever read the original Dune, how are the later books?

The Myth of Normal looks like an interesting topic, it is something I have been thinking about lately. How are you liking the book?

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          18 months ago

I will probably do a Dune reread in near-future. Will check out some of the sequels.

• @Michal@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    28 months ago

A Time For Mercy

I am about a quarter way in and it's going pretty slow. I loved other Grisham books, including A time to kill and Sycamore row, but this one is more recent and seems somehow not as good.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      18 months ago

I have read couple of Grisham novels and remember enjoying them, but that has been quite a while ago. Do share your opinion once you are done with this.

• @Michal@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        28 months ago

It got much better about halfway through. I am almost finished reading it and the trial itself is just great. Overall it's a good book, i just don't see why it had to be stretched so thin.

• @dresdenOPM
          link
          English
          18 months ago

Ahan, thanks for the info!

• Mario_Dies.wav
    link
    fedilink
    18 months ago

Just finished Cassandra Peterson's (aka Elvira, Mistress of the Dark) memoirs

I can relate to so much she experienced, and the book made me love her even more. It would be a great month to read it for any fan, but be aware she experienced sexual assault and other awful things, all of which she openly discusses. One reason I connected with it tbh, but it might be a difficult read for some readers.