Not much from my side. I am still reading Chloe Marr by A. A. Milne. It's an interesting book, even though I am missing every "pop reference" of plays etc. Someone who get those references would probably enjoy it a lot more.

What about all of you? What have you been reading (or listening) lately?

• NightLily
    link
    fedilink
    29 months ago

For the C.J. Cherryh one it's definitely become one of my favourite books which is why I'm re-reading it I really like how it treats the different groups that are met as being incredibly different and alien to each other. The omnibus doesn't have all the books attached to the series there are 2 more Chanur's Homecoming and Chanur's Legacy with Chanur's Homecoming picking up on the cliff-hanger that the Omnibus ends you on which I did not know when I first picked up the omnibus.

I was really interested in the pre-Islamic section of the book and I have to say it was quite enjoyable it's a shame that it can't go too in-depth on the topics presented in that time period I'm assuming both because of lack of source materials but also because it is reviewing such a vast period of time. But I think as an overview of everything it does a really good job at the point that I'm at at giving you nice starting points to dig deep into if you want to and you can find stuff on. Like introducing the Arab vassal kingdoms of Rome and Persia and how they are different from the South Arabian kingdoms of the time but the two groups become inextricably linked because of wars and migration and such.

• @dresdenOPM
      link
      English
      29 months ago

Yeah, there are two Omnibus for Chanur, first one The Chanur Saga has book 1-3, and Chanur's Endgame has last two, 4-5. Will probably just order both of them.

That sounds fascinating. For new topics, I like the approach of first reading a general book which covers vast areas of the topic, and then getting book which covers the area you are interested in, in more detail. Adding it to my wish list!

Thanks for the detailed reply!