We are thrilled to announce the upcoming release of Sublinks, a groundbreaking Link Aggregation Social Network, joining the Fediverse. This innovative platform is designed to revolutionize how we share and discover online. Our dedicated team of volunteer contributors has worked tirelessly, utilizing technologies like Java, Go, TypeScript, and HTML to bring this vision to life. Sublinks promises a user-friendly interface and robust features that cater to diverse online communities. Stay tuned for our launch date, and get ready to experience a new era of social link sharing!

Sublinks will have a fully compatible API with Lemmy so all current Lemmy apps will also work with Sublinks. In fact, discuss.online will switch to Sublinks to fully replace Lemmy once we reach our Parity Milestone.

For more information, visit GitHub - Sublinks and sublinks.org.

Stay tuned for more regular updates as we progress.

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
    link
    85 months ago

Basically, it’s a replacement for Lemmy. Ground-up rewrite of the source using a language with a much larger community.

• @FelipeFelop
      link
      35 months ago

I thought I was pretty familiar with the fediverse (joined mastodon in 2018) but I don’t understand what some of that means. What is a Link Aggregation Social Network and why is it capitalised?

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
        link
        65 months ago

Lemmy, Reddit, Sublinks, Kbin are all Link Aggregation social networks. They mostly share links to articles and the like. It’s just the category they’re in.

• Professor_Stevens
      link
      fedilink
      25 months ago

@jgrim

Oh, God. This must be the moment when I realize I’m over the hill for real. You’re clearly assuming I know what Lemmy is, which implies that most people in this setting would, in fact, know what it is.

But I don’t.

Jesus, I’m gonna need some Chivas after this.

• @TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        5 months ago

it’s funny, because I’m reading your comment from lemmy! to me, you’re already “on Lemmy” so good job.

In old man terms: it’s just a bunch of websites that talk to each other. we share links and memes, using some sites with a reddit aesthetic (lemmy), some with a twitter aesthetic (mastodon), but all (most of) the content gets posted to each other. me, I found my way here from the announcement being linked on Lemmy.

and you’re not missing much from the announcement. they didn’t really say anything substantial. it’s all just corporate speak - bedazzled promises yet to be delivered. we’ll see what they launch when they launch it, but i stopped caring by the time i read “innovate” and “revolution”. at the end of the day it’s gonna be pizzas and cats.

• @ericjmorey
          link
          English
          15 months ago

but all the content gets posted to each other

Unfortunately this is far from true. Mastodon and Lemmy have fundamental federation issues. But that’s nuance that isn’t important to people who are probably never going to use Lemmy (or SubLinks) directly.

And SubLinks is going to be more interesting to admins of Lemmy and app developers for Lemmy than users for some time, so I get the apathetic response.

• @TimewornTraveler@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            25 months ago

yeah i think omitting defederation from the initial explanation makes it more digestible. It’d have been better to say Most instead of All though, yeah

• jgrim of SublinksOPMA
        link
        35 months ago

Lemmy is the software that runs discuss.online, lemmy.world, etc.

• @FelipeFelop
        link
        edit-2
        5 months ago

There are so many buzzwords in that announcement it makes my head hurt.

In fact, went to sublinks.org and the about section is also full of buzzwords. It’s not clear at all.

• Professor_Stevens
          link
          fedilink
          35 months ago

@FelipeFelop

Well, I didn’t mean to be particularly critical. I just didn’t know what it was announcing. Now that you mention it, though, the wording is a bit corpo for the Fediverse.