• AggressivelyPassive
    link
    fedilink
    155 months ago

The point is, that you don’t notice it. Your body lacks fast oxygen sensors, as long as you can breathe off CO2, you won’t feel anything, maybe a bit tingly.

That’s not to say it’s “nice”, an execution is inevitably extremely stressful, but that’s kind of inevitable if you want the whole “witness” charade.

• Cogency
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      5 months ago

A pulmonologist in another thread said that was based on bad science. That the body can’t hit hypoxia fast enough to not trigger the suffocation response, because they are holding their breathe up to that point. That’s kind of a big deal if true.

• AggressivelyPassive
        link
        fedilink
        25 months ago

Even if that’s true, how long can you hold your breath? Under stress. 2min? Then you’ll breathe again, get rid of CO2 and you’re done.

Again, I’m not advocating for death penalty, but if you’re determined to kill someone, nitrogen is definitely one of the best ways.

• Cogency
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          5 months ago

What they were saying is, is that’s not enough time for the nitrogen to displace the co2 in their lungs for the peaceful part to happen. It’s not hypoxia that they die from its the suffocation.

• AggressivelyPassive
            link
            fedilink
            35 months ago

CO2 isn’t “replaced”, it’s getting breathed away like in a normal atmosphere. The atmosphere is 70% nitrogen, it’s not like it’s a toxic gas.

• Cogency
              link
              fedilink
              edit-2
              5 months ago

The fact that you don’t understand displacement of lung (and bloodstream) gas content tells me you don’t have enough of a medical background to understand wtf you are talking about.

• AggressivelyPassive
                link
                fedilink
                25 months ago

The fact that you’re repeating the same words again and again tells me, you just read something you don’t quite understand and act like an expert now.

• Cogency
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  5 months ago

I’m not the one with the burden of proof to prove that it is painless.

Read about the fact that the scientific community can not study the death penalty from within most death penalty states to actually provide anything more than individual testimonials. The scientific community does not support the conclusion that hypoxia is in any way painless. https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/