• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    154 months ago

Unironically it would be an immensely powerful nation. Good food production, good infrastructure, two of the three largest cities in the United States, many world class universities and research institutes, good mineral wealth as far as the industrialized northern hemisphere goes, lots of water, great commercial projection capacity, and a metric fuck ton of people. All without any of the dead weight states except Indiana. And all we’d have to do is deal with a bit of people who speak French poorly and a province that’s far more liberal than its insane government (ON, but swap province for state and that describes OH too)

It’d also be an absolute powerhouse of workers rights

• @ProgrammerMan@ani.social
      link
      fedilink
      14 months ago

Why are you name dropping Indiana? Indiana ranked 20th in terms of state GDP, and has a higher GDP than both Minnesota and Wisconsin, as well as higher growth. I agree that the mid west would be a power house, but I don’t understand why Indiana is a dead weight state.

• @captainlezbian@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        24 months ago

Because I’m an Ohioan who likes Michigan and I have to bully a neighbor. Also because the only place I’ve been to in Indiana since I was a teenager was Fort Wayne and you know what if you decide Ohio is worthless because you keep having to visit family in Dayton fair.

Also because it feels like punching down to mock their government’s decision to bring back AIDS. But I will stand in solidarity with Gary alongside Cleveland, Chicago, and Detroit as the great hellholes of the Great Lakes that actually aren’t even that bad anymore.