Edit: Guys I didn’t write the headline; the subtitle that I added, I’ve now fixed tho

Edit: Also, the information about there being no escape is out of date – here’s a quick guide to how to fix the problem in the modern day

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
    link
    502 months ago

Forced updates are a good thing for most people, though. The general population doesn’t know or care about infosec, so they’ll put off updates for months or years.

• @derbis@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        92 months ago

I’d be fine with what you describe in the second paragraph, but that’s not what’s meant by “forced.” That’s opt-out. Forced is what’s really objectionable, especially when it’s abused, as discussed in the article and elsewhere in these comments.

• Spectranox
      link
      fedilink
      English
      112 months ago

No.

A notification, in the tray and elsewhere across the OS, with a short description like “Updates are crucial to the security of you and your device, they also provide the freshest experience.” would get the point across. What would be even better is if there was a one-click NQA button to initiate the update, perhaps even included on the notification.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        202 months ago

Those notifications have existed for years. People don’t give a shit.

All you have to do is restart your computer every so often and nothing will be forced.

• @hitmyspot@aussie.zone
        link
        fedilink
        102 months ago

The problem is Microsoft have abused it. Now they claim an update is for security, but instead it just reverts settings to promote their other products.

• Spectranox
          link
          fedilink
          English
          22 months ago

In Windows’ case, this is the truth. But certified corporation momentos are not a required side-effect of this approach to updates.

• @hitmyspot@aussie.zone
            link
            fedilink
            12 months ago

Yes, but trust is required of users are not going to boot out. If it’s not opt out, that’s a risk in intself.

• @kent_eh@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      62 months ago

Updates forced at inconvenient (or inapropriate) times aren’t a good thing though.

Don’t interrupt my work right bloody now.

You can update later when I’m done doing what I’m in the middle of.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        52 months ago

The forced updates are usually after the system has bugged the shit out of you to update for a week or two.

Plus, you can easily disable it.

• @derbis@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      42 months ago

Let’s have the authorities force us to eat salad and exercise while we’re at it, it’s better for us

• Dark Arc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Oh Christ, that’s not the same thing and you know it.

• @derbis@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          42 months ago

Meh. You’re not just talking about just making it automatic or easy or recommended, but actually forcing everyone to have to go along with it and taking away the option to not do it.

• Dark Arc
            link
            fedilink
            English
            132 months ago

You 100% should have to keep your systems up to date. It’s a danger to yourself and everyone else when you don’t.

• @derbis@beehaw.org
              link
              fedilink
              32 months ago

Even at the risk of Microsoft adding more spyware to my machine, reinstalling apps I deliberately uninstalled, reverting privacy settings I set, strongarming me into using their browser, etc? All of which has been reported.

My hardware, my choice.

• Dark Arc
                link
                fedilink
                English
                edit-2
                2 months ago

If you want to phrase it as a “personal responsibility” thing, then you should frankly be criminally liable if your system is used for a DDOS attack.

• @derbis@beehaw.org
                  link
                  fedilink
                  edit-2
                  2 months ago

Lol.

As long as security updates are bundled with antifeature updates, this amounts to “install candy crush or go to jail!”

• Dark Arc
                    link
                    fedilink
                    English
                    82 months ago

You think it’s funny for your system to take part in an attack potentially costing billions of dollars in damages because you can’t be bothered to switch off of Windows because “you don’t like what Microsoft installs with their security updates” or “actually install security updates”?

• terrrmus
                link
                fedilink
                English
                32 months ago

Sounds like Microsoft is the problem here. Their antics finally got me to switch to Linux with Copilot.

Just curious, are you unvaccinated too?

• @teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        62 months ago

Which part exactly are you disagreeing with? Do you think that we should force people to never be allowed to run an OS that enforces a strict update regimen? Because I think you probably actually think that the user should be allowed to choose how they update; whether that be mandatory and automatic, or manual and optional. The reality is, the vast majority of people will opt for the former, and I think we both agree that they should be allowed that choice.

The real issue is transparency: what is being installed and executed, why, and is any data being collected. As long as all that can be audited at will, I don’t see any issue with the existence of an OS that insists on being updated for the people who want that.

• Admiral Patrick
          link
          fedilink
          English
          62 months ago

I don’t see any issue with the existence of an OS that insists on being updated for the people who want that.

Emphases mine, obviously. No OS (nor its vendor) should insist how I use it or force anything on me, the owner / administrator. If it wants to make an opt-in option to make certain things automatic for the lazy / technically-challenged, sure, whatever, but don’t make it mandatory or convoluted to opt out (if opt-in is a dealbreaker)

I don’t want my OS to treat me like an idiot, a child, a product to be data mined, a mark to sell stuff to, etc. Just handle I/O, render what I tell it, do what I tell it, and don’t take liberties or suggest things to me.

• @teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            22 months ago

Yeah, I don’t think you’re disagreeing with my point. I get it, you aren’t the person who wants to be treated like an idiot when it comes to your computer, but the vast majority of computer users do.

There are many things in your life that you rely on on a daily basis that you never think about the internals of. Maybe your electrical system, your washer and dryer, your car, the roof over your head, the mail system, or the kitchen at a restaurant. All of these things are black boxes that get you what you want without you having to ever think about how it works. Because you don’t want manual control over every single thing in your life you interact with, no one has time for that, you couldn’t function in modern society.

Your computer is an exception that you have arbitrarily chosen to have intimate control over, but most other people don’t. In their perfect world, they don’t even know they’re using a computer, it’s just a magical box that gets them what they want.

• Admiral Patrick
              link
              fedilink
              English
              12 months ago

Respectfully, I am disagreeing with your point.

To be quite blunt about it, I’m tired of everything constantly being dumbed down to accommodate the lowest common denominator, intellectually non-curious “everyman”. Every once in a while, people should be expected to reach up, just a little. Otherwise, it’s a race to the bottom.

Just because I’m expecting people to reach up doesn’t mean no one will be there to help.

• @teawrecks@sopuli.xyz
                link
                fedilink
                22 months ago

Ok, so it sounds like you are in fact arguing that people shouldn’t be allowed to run a system that forces updates. And yeah, I think we will have to agree to disagree. I believe people should be free to run whatever they want on their own devices, regardless of my personal beliefs.

Remember, we’re not talking about a system that spies on you without telling you, or recommends things to you without you wanting it to, we’re specifically talking about a system that says “either let me update myself, or I will stop functioning”. And I think that’s perfectly reasonable system for a person to want and have.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
                link
                12 months ago

Most people have absolutely no need to understand how the systems they use operate under the hood.

If anyone does care to “reach up”, it’s not hard to find the steps to disable it on Google. But 99.9% of people aren’t going to do that.

• @Zworf@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      12 months ago

That’s their problem though. If they wanna get hacked, go for it.

But there should be a way to turn it off for us power users at least (without having to build a whole domain controller)

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
        link
        12 months ago

The problem is when those systems become part of a botnet.

Plus, you can just disable the update service if you want to leave your computer vulnerable to attacks.

• @pearsaltchocolatebar
            link
            12 months ago

Except it is; you can add a batch script in your startup folder to disable it on startup. You could also just add the registry key that disables it.

If you’re actually a power user, disabling updates isn’t an issue.