Hi,

Has anyone here read Artemis Fowl series? Thinking about getting it for my kid. Was wondering if it is fine for 8-9 year old kid.

Also, any other recommendations? He loved Diary of the Wimpy Kid, but struggled to get into Harry Potter.

Thanks.

• @LoganNineFingers@lemmy.ca
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    English
    21 year ago

I haven’t yet either but I’ve read his Cytonic stuff and while it’s not young enough, it’s younger. I imagine the Alcatraz one is really well done. My buddies 8 yr old read them and loved them.

Great user name btw

• @dresdenOP
      link
      English
      11 year ago

Thanks for the recommendation.

As for the username, thanks! And same goes to you. After creating the account, I thought “dresden” could be someone’s real name, maybe I should have gone with something more obvious, like “nine_fingers”, and then I saw your name. 😀

cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        21 year ago

Haha. For me it was an opportunity to grab a name I couldn’t before. It was either this or “The Blackthorn”. I entertained “Waynes_Hat” too haha

• @dresdenOP
          link
          English
          11 year ago

You went with a good name, cause I don’t know any Blackthorn, and the only Wayne I know, doesn’t wear hats. 😀

• @dresdenOP
              link
              English
              111 months ago

Ah, Wax and Wayne!

I am a big Sanderson fan. Though, haven’t read all of his work yet. In Cosmere, I haven’t read the second era of the Mistborn and Rhythm of War. In non-cosmere, still have some stuff left, like Alcatraz series, Rithamist, Reckoner’s series. Skyward series (though I have all the Skyward books - minus Defiant - and plan to start it soon). Just finished Tress of the Emerald Sea couple of days ago. Really interesting read, highly recommended!

Also haven’t read any of his Graphics novels, or audiobooks… So much still to read!

Which one is The Blackthorn from?

cake
                link
                fedilink
                English
                211 months ago

I agree - he has tons to read. There was one year (2020 maybe?) where I read anything with his name on it and pretty much only that.

I just finished Tress myself! I really enjoyed it as well.

I haven’t read Alcatraz or Rhytmatist. I own Wizards Guide and have ordered Yumi but haven’t read either.

The Blackthorn was Dalinars nickname - Rhythm of War wasn’t my favourite (Word’s of Radiance for me) but it was a fun read and classic sort of Sanderson pacing. Nice developments with some of the characters and the cosmere itself.

Second Era mistborn might be my favourite series he has written. Wayne is my absolute favourite. If you get a chance, the graphic audio books are really good.

Skyward and Reconers are good. Written for a younger crowd but lots of fun and interesting ideas in there.

• @dresdenOP
                  link
                  English
                  111 months ago

The Blackthorn was Dalinars nickname

It was! How did I forget that. I didn’t read Rhythm of War as I wanted to re-read the whole series before the 5th book, so going to do that next year.