• @PopOfAfrica@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    191 month ago

Adversaries to a movement will split hairs and redefine a movement anyways.

That’s all we are seeing here. Look at now they tried to frame Black Lived Matters, something quite clean cut.

• @Steve@communick.news
      link
      fedilink
      English
      131 month ago

No. We suck at naming things. And communication in general.
      “Black Lives Matter Too” would have been more clear.
      “Replace the Police” would have been better also.

Even mainstream Democrats suck at it. They should be shouting every day, how they’re taking on big corp’s, going after antitrust abuses and unpaid taxes; While refusing to audit anyone making less than $250,000. But instead they just keep saying some variation of “The economy’s great, stupid.”

• @Steve@communick.news
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

They may have willfully misrepresented, but couldn’t really have an excuse to mistakenly misinterpret them. That was our bad.

• @Nevoic@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            21 month ago

Is your argument that a genuine, good faith interpretation of “Black Lives Matter” is “Only Black Lives Matter”?

This isn’t how English works. If I say “I like your mom” to an SO, they wouldn’t interpret it as I don’t like them and instead like their mom. I don’t have to say “I like your mom too”.

• @Steve@communick.news
              link
              fedilink
              English
              edit-2
              1 month ago

Anyone coming back with “all lives matter” proves the ease of confusion over the slogan.

My own immediate response to it was “Yah, of course they do. All lives matter. Why single out Black lives? The police shouldn’t be killing anyone.”

I’m not going to try mind read anyone else.

• @Nevoic@lemm.ee
                link
                fedilink
                edit-2
                1 month ago

People who go out and counter protest actively have given it more than a cursory thought. They know BLM isn’t advocating for white genocide (okay, most of them understand this. There are some literal nazis/skin heads/white nationalists in the counter protesting groups that believe in The Great Replacement, but they believed this prior to BLM existing).

Yet they still go out and counter protest. It’s not confusion at that point. You can’t go up to an all lives matter reactionary and say “Hey! Did you know BLM doesn’t actually want to murder all white people? Are you a fan of BLM now?” and actually expect any progress.

• @timmymac@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              -21 month ago

It should have been called of course black lives matter then move on from the stupid race baiting movement and get back to living.

• @uriel238@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        51 month ago

Law enforcement based on the Peelian principles is not a tennable thing. Sure, every US beat officer will learn it in training but they also learn the public is the enemy, which has been the way of things for over a century.

if we could imagine a new age of policing, it would involve much less enforcement and much more prevention, mostly disincentivising people from engaging in desperation crime. Heck, we might even end retributive sentencing for a more restorative system.

If we dropped our current law enforcement – the whole thing – and turned to investigating and intercepting elite deviance (white collar crime) we would save more lives, prevent more damage and more cost by orders of magnitude. Not that law enforcement actually does much to reduce crime.

• “too” implies

a) they don’t matter yet

and

b) mattering is a new concept we should consider.

The statement is clear without modifier and requires no qualification, clarification or context: do black lives matter or not?

Or to take the inverse: under what circumstances do black lives not matter? If the answer is “there are none” then obviously black lives matter.

• You’re not wrong, I guess the biggest issue with it being misconstrued was by people who watch Fox news, but honestly Fox news was gonna find a way to spin it no matter what.

• @Steve@communick.news
          link
          fedilink
          English
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I’m not sure if you’re arguing for or against “too”.

Because yah, police specifically, and society generally, have been acting as though black lives don’t matter. And the slogan “black lives matter” was created to argue against that idea. But it was easily confusing. Hell I was immediately confused the first time I heard it, and actually thought “Well yah. All lives matter. What are they talking about?” It took me a good min or two to understand. But simply adding the “too” immediately clarifies that.

“Black lives matter” isn’t wrong. It’s just not immediately as clear as it could be.

• Leftists can name things appropriately. You just proved that. It’s the “moderate” “liberals” that run the DNC that have the issue. That’s just because they are desperately trying to to convince the right that “there won’t be any significant changes,” while still pandering to the center. They don’t care about the left except to make us shut up and sit down.

• @StaySquared@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      1 month ago

BLM was a scam, a grift… that’s an undeniable fact.

What was achieved? Because what we witnessed was violence, theft and property destruction. If you deny this, you are willfully ignorant or a bold faced liar.

Oh and Malcolm X was right. More Black people should study Malcolm X and his message.

• @Steve@communick.news
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

It’s just the definition.
                  Classical Liberalism is very similar to today’s political conservatives.

Classical liberalism is a political tradition and a branch of liberalism that advocates free market and laissez-faire economics and civil liberties under the rule of law, with special emphasis on individual autonomy, limited government, economic freedom, political freedom and freedom of speech. Classical liberalism, contrary to liberal branches like social liberalism, looks more negatively on social policies, taxation and the state involvement in the lives of individuals, and it advocates deregulation.

• @PopOfAfrica@lemmy.world
                    link
                    fedilink
                    11 month ago

I’m arguing that modern-day Democrats only care about a minority group in so far as they can monetize them.

The Rainbow Washing is explicitly economic.