• @humdrumgentleman@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    791 month ago

Friendly reminder of the core problem: medical treatments are all balanced against the risk of what it counteracts.

Undergoing physical and chemical changes to grow another creature inside you and have it damage everything on the way out is pretty risky. Female birth control only has to be less risky than that.

A male has zero physiological risk from impregnating someone. Therefore, anything except a miracle drug with high efficacy and almost zero side effects is going to stall at the trial stage.

On another note, that speaks to how safe and effective vasectomies are.

• @OmgItBurns
      link
      English
      261 month ago

I will say this as often as I can, getting the ol snip snip was the best decision I’ve ever made.

• rudyharrelson
          link
          fedilink
          330 days ago

Not that guy, but I have one kid who I love to bits. Got a vasectomy when he was 2 years old cause we would explode if we had a second kid, lol. One is enough for us. We’ve been incredibly fortunate so we decided we didn’t need any more surprises.

The doc who did mine was a military vet who went into urology after serving. I remember reading the pamphlet on the operation and it said the vasectomy only took 15 minutes. I asked him, “It only takes 15 minutes??” and he responded, “Eight.”

I like a good speedrun as much as the next guy, but I told him to take his sweet time lol. Ain’t in no rush, doc.

Recovery was super chill. Couldn’t roughhouse with my son for a week or two, and that’s about it. I’ve got some fun titanium clamps chilling in my junk now, so that’s fun. I’m basically Wolverine.

• @OmgItBurns
          link
          English
          11 month ago

Never wanted them, pretty sure I’d have a mental breakdown if I tried to raise one

• @constantokra@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      11 month ago

There are also plenty of medical reasons for even sexually inactive women to take hormonal birth control. This isn’t only about pregnancy, which as you say can have all sorts of physical consequences.